Question Re: Valves and Pressure

Nick's Pool

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 31, 2014
Naples, FL
Good evening,

Quick question. I had to shock my pool due to a little bit of yellow algea (which I'm not sure why I developed because I keep my readings up to par using TFP guidelines but this is my 1st incident this year and I live in FL so..) I shocked the pool using liquid chlorine and the readings based off the CYA/Chlorine chart. My question is this, I have a faux rock waterfall feature and I decided to turn them off using the valve near the pump and it raises my filter reading from the normal 6 psi to about 16 psi. This won't damage the pump correct? Or is there another valve I should use to lower the pressure? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to make sure the pump can handle that much pressure. I didn't want to discolor my faux rocks from the large amount of chlorine.

My readings as of tonight

FC = 24
CC= 0
pH = 7.5
Alk = 70
CH = 300
CYA = 65
Salt = 3400
Borates = 30 (using the LaMotte Insta Strips. AquaCheck strips say 80 but there's NO WAY that can be right so I'll stick with LaMotte's readings)

I'm doing the overnight test tonight to make sure FC doesn't go down more than 1 ppm.

Thanks for your help!

Nick

I would guess that there is also a valve on the return line that is partially closed to force more water to the waterfall when it is on. If that's the case, then you could open the return line valve when you close the fountain valve.

Most filters have a maximum pressure rating listed right on them. It's usually pretty high. Mine for example says 50psi, so I don't think you are in too much danger

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.