Sodium hydrochlorite and sodium hydroxide in bleach

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
Usually I get generic bleach at Publix. The label says it contains Sodium hydrochlorite and "other materials". It works fine.

Sometimes when they are sold out of the generic bleach we get Clorox concentrated bleach. The label says it contains Sodium hydrochlorite and sodium hydroxide. It makes bubbles on the surface of the pool. The bubbles go away in a few minutes, and it is not a problem, but I wonder what the extra ingredient - sodium hydroxide - is. Is it making the bubbles, and is it causing any other problem?

i don't think there's any difference at all. The MSDS for the Publix product lists Sodium Hydroxide in the same percentage as the Clorox products. Maybe the bottle labeling doesn't go into the same level of detail.

Are you sure you are not buying some splashless Clorox bleach or something with additives? Those will cause foaming.

Yes, it is splashless Clorox. I didn't know there were additives. I thought "splashless" had something to do with the shape of the bottle. I will stop buying splashless. Do you have any idea what the long term effects of those additives in the water will be?

Splashless bleach contains several surfactants including Cetyl Betaine, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate and Cocamidopropyl betaine. They are also used in personal care products.

For small amounts, there should not be any long term adverse effects that you would have to be concerned about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.