Hi everyone! My name is Carrie T. Please help!!!!?

Sep 27, 2014
Irwin PA
I am new to all of this and need some advice. I live in North Huntindon, Pennsylvania and we just got an Intex 18'x52 Ultra Frame pool. We had a little Intex round pool with a blow up ring for the past 2 years but decided to upgrade for next summer. The pool comes with a sand filter. I'm not sure what chemicals I need to put in once we fill the pool. And I was also wondering (and hoping?) that it will be ok for us to leave the pool up thru winter as well. If I am able to, what are steps I should take to winterize it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

If you haven't already, don't fill and just wait until next year. In either case. Start in Pool School and begin with the ABC's, then the other articles that explain the chemicals needed. Afterward, you can always come back in the forum and ask questions. Good luck, and let us know how we can help. You can find those link in my signature line to get started.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Welcome to TFP !
Yep I agree with pup. Your swim season is over IMO. I know mine is. Do all the reading you can on the site then you'll be ready for next season.
Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask ! ?

As far as chemicals, how were you maintaining the ring-top pool you had before? The principles of pool maintenance don't really change when you move to a bigger container of water. The chemistry will remain the same (sand filter versus cartridge filter doesn't change anything on chemistry). Reading here on the site is a great idea, of course, especially if you didn't really understand what you were doing with the old pool, or if you weren't happy with the water quality. For example, we started with a 1000 gallon Summer Escapes pool, and had that pool up for four summers before finding this site -- enjoyed the pool, but didn't really understand why the water was changing in various ways (constantly dropping pH, for example, as well as the terminal algae bloom that awaited us every year when we got back from vacation in August).

Some people do leave those Intex pools up over the winter (search, and you'll find several threads). However, I agree with everyone else who has recommended leaving the pool in the box this winter, if possible.

Put it up in the Spring....no doubt.

You can be doing some site work now that may save some time and there is plenty to learn by reading but I would not suggest putting that pool up now.

There is so much information on this site it's incredible! When I had my ring pool, I had bought clorine tablets, PH Plus, Alkalinity Plus and test strips. I am taking everyone's advise and waiting until next spring to put it up. I have a solar cover that my neighbor had given me. It was too big for the ring pool but I think it will be perfect for the new AG pool. The new Intex is 18'x52" which it kind of funny, I'm 31 years old and when I measured 52" on myself it's up to my chin lol. Anyway, the new AG pool came with a 110-120V sand filter, ladder, debris cover (which I assume I will use when I close the pool up for winter), and a ground cloth which I'm not really sure what it's for or if I have to use it or not???? And one more thing, the pool holders about 6,981 gallons it says.

FYI, you do not usually fill a 52" pool with 52" of water as it would overflow when you got in. More likely to have about 48" of actual depth.

This forum can sure be an eye opener, all those chemicals that you bought could have been found for a cheaper price at a grocery store. Also realize that test strips are junk and I highly recommend you invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits next spring.

Have you found Pool School yet? Start with these to begin your learning:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.