Replacing old 2HP single speed pump with Pentair SuperFlo 1HP 2 speed

Jul 15, 2014
Boca Raton, FL
Hello everyone,

My current pump which is a Jandy PlusHP 2.5HP (PHPM2.5) is going bye bye, and based on some feedback from my previous thread (http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-(previously-neglected-pool)-piping-question), I decided to go with the Pentair SuperFlo 1HP 2 speed.

I am good at connecting the pipe, unions, and everything plumbing, but the electrical is a little trickier for me, and I would like some help figuring that out.

The wiring diagram on the label is unreadable, so I am not really sure how to wire this new pump.
In this Google album (maybe because I'm a new member, I can't upload images or they have to be really small), you can see images of the Label on the Pump, the wiring connectors and toggle switch, and the wiring on the old pump:

https://plus.google.com/photos/1007...ms/6063761556065379697?authkey=CNmxne2opumiDA

On the old pump wiring, I have two red wires coming from the timer, plus a green/brow (it's green then there's an extension mid way which becomes brown on the pump - as you can see on the last image)

On the new pump, there are 3 connectors and they are labeled: 1 (empty), 2 (yellow wire connecting to the toggle switch), 3 or 4 (white wire connecting to the switch). In addition, as you can see on the second image, the toggle switch (which is hanging on the left side of the image) has a black wire that is capped, where should that one be connected to?

I would really appreciate If someone could help me figure out how to connect these wires.

Thanks,
Alex

Alright, I found this other thread (http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/59262-Wire-help-for-a-2-speed-Pentair-SuperFlo) where someone is installing a pump similar to mine, including the toggle switch.

Instructions by @JasonLion in that thread were:
If your pump came with a speed switch on the pump, which it looks like your did, you simply wire as in the diagram on the pump with the speed switch. One hot wire to common, one hot wire to the middle wire from the switch, and ground to the green chassis screw.

So, can anyone just confirm that is just really that?

One hot wire from timer to connector labeled 1 on pump
One hot wire from timer to black capped wire on toggle switch
One green wire from timer to Green pump chassis screw

Is that it?

Thanks!

One of your lines from the 230V circuit is connected to the motor (likely #1) and the other is connected to the capped black wire that goes to the center of the switch. The switch then directs power to either the low or high speed winding.

It is hard to read, but that is what the diagram on the right shows.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup. You got it :goodjob:

You also want to connect the bare copper bonding wire to the bonding lug on the outside of the motor.

OK. So, I have confirmed that the low speed is setting the switch to the down position.

The questions that I have remaining are:

1) Can I switch the speed while the pump is running or should I turn it off first?

2) I switched to the low speed, but it seems to be too low, and not making enough pressure. The gauge on my filter was reading 6/7 psi in low speed, while in high speed it reads 26 (I have to clean my filter tomorrow). Is this reading normal for low speed? I put my hand in front of the jets and there was just a very faint amount of water coming out.

3) I assume that people running this type of pump on the low speed setting do not use a cleaner such as barracuda? I don't think there would be enough power for it, correct?

Thanks for all your help.

1) Switching with the pump on is fine

2) Why do you think you need to read pressure? On low you should be getting 1/2 the flow as on high speed. A large drop in pressure is normal. Mine read 2-3 psi on low. But, if the filter is very dirty, low speed may not move much water at all. You should be cleaning the filter when ever the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

3) If you are using a suction cleaner, then you may have to run on high to have it work correctly. This would be one reason to have the speed selection on a timer, so you could run on high to move the cleaner for a few hours and then low the rest of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.