new user yellow algae Texas

bauden

Sep 20, 2014
san antonio/texas
New to this forum
Put in 10000 gallon gunite pool in April, in Wimberley Tx. Lots of sun and heat.
cartridge filter, ozone, auto bromide, 2 catch baskets
no problems until august, started to have small areas of green algae, wire brush scrub,clean filters, shock with Leslie pools products including green out, seems to work for a few days but returns when chlorine levels get back to normal.
ordered t100 testing kit which just arrived and below are first results.
while waiting i over did liquid chlorine hoping algae could not grow but even with high high chlorine (dark yellow/orange when tested) still see tiny pockets
so how do i get chlorine levels back to "normal/safe" levels and stop algae?
Also i'm getting ants in the little pre filter (where tube is connected to side of pool) of my polaris, how could this be if my filter system is working correctly

chlorine way over 5ppm
PH 7.8
FC 18ppm
CC 0
TC 18ppm
CH 450 ppm
TA 150
CYA 100

Thank you

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please confirm is this a chlorine pool or a bromine pool?

Did you follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the algae? I have my doubts given your high CYA level since your FC is not nearly high enough.

You first step needs to be to get the CYA level under control by replacing at least 50% of the water.

Have you found the TFP Pool School yet? If not, start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

bauden said:
chlorine way over 5ppm
PH 7.8
FC 18ppm
CC 0
TC 18ppm
CH 450 ppm
TA 150
CYA 100

First, a hearty Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Whenever I see a CYA result of 100, the first thing that comes to mind is the possibility that it could be higher than that since the scale on the CYA view tube maxes out at 100. In any event, I would do the 50% drain & refill that jblizzle suggested and then retest the CYA. Just keep in mind that there is a possibility that the CYA could be higher than 50 ppm after the water replacement. If that turns out to be the case, don't suspect the test kit or your testing procedures. The more likely culprit is that the starting CYA was greater than 100. I worked with a member this year where this happened and walked them through several partial drain & refills before the CYA got to a manageable level.

For more info on the CYA testing procedure, see http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions , Post #8.

The CYA level can get that high with a steady diet of using stabilized chlorine. Pucks (trichlor) and powdered shock (dichlor) any form of stabilized chlorine adds CYA. Cal hypo will add calcium to your pool which is not good if your CH level is already an issue.
This is why using liquid chlorine, bleach is the best form of chlorine to use. No side effects like from the other sources. A SWG is also a great way to chlorinate your pool.

Plan to SLAM monday as I brought sump pump and ordered water. Algae is only popping up in small spots which I brush off, will do all tests again tomorrow before draining.
So I replace 1/2 the water and follow SLAM instructions and stop using bromine in line feeder just liquid bleach?
Any other tips?
Thanks any other Trouble free pool users around wimberley tx?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.