Raypak Heater Question

Good afternoon -

Glad I found this site!

I just finished a new pool, and installed a Raypak Natural Gas Heater.
MODEL # 406A (406k BTU)

All hooked up. Went to turn on, and have gas going to Spark Module, have spark - just keeps clicking/sparking - Not Igniting. Driving me NUTS! After a few minutes, I get the "No Spark" message on the screen. Nothing else. When I go to the Error screen - NOTHING there....

Am I missing something ??

Thanks in advance!!

Bill

Is this a brand new heater? Does the pilot actually light? Check the connections on the back of the control board that they are securely plugged in all the way.

I have run into something similar when installing water heaters. If it's new, new then it might take some time to purge the air out of the line as it's only bleeding enough to run the pilot. When you say you have gas is it that you hear a hiss or are you sure it's really gas ??
If you are comfortable doing it you could loosen the coupling at the control and bleed the air out until you smell gas. I would then use soapy water to make sure my reconnect is sold and no chance of creating a leak. Make sure there is nothing that could ignite the gas. Then wait a reasonable time and try to light the pilot again. I've had it take a couple minutes of trying to get the air out on a new install if not purged.

Thanks guys! Especially Kiss4afrog! EXACTLY what it was. I do not know WHY I didn't realize that! We had just run about 75' of the 1-1/2 pipe to it, and the town came to pressure test it. Once they left I hadn't opened the valve till yesterday. Went brain dead on forgetting the gas had to travel the length of the pipe to the heater. Yes, Electronic Ignition - Brand spankin NEW heater. Went outside before, took off the cap to the drop leg, opened valve at union and waited till I smelled gas. Closed back up, and Instant start! Now getting the temp of the pool back in the 80's!! AWESOME BOARD! THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONES POST!!! Bill

Well, all I can say is I know that trick because I've lived through that problem and beat my head on the wall for some time. Same stuff, new pipe, new valve, new heater, hear hissing, see spark, what the ........
Same if you are opening up a house that has had the gas off for a spell or LP and they ran the tank out (father-in-law), that takes forever !!
Glad yours was simple and you're up and running. :party::party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.