1st year pool closing question

May 5, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
To cover or not to cover...that is the question!

What a great, stress-free 1st season we had, thanks to TFP!!

Now I'm debating how to close our AGP. Obviously never done a closing before so I'm turning to you pool vets out there for advice.

I don't know if I should wait till water temp drops below 60, bring FC to shock level for 24hrs, then drain 6" below skimmer/return jets and cover...OR
Keep the cover stowed in shed (no leaf problem here) and just run the pump on low all winter to keep any freeze danger away...netting any debris that may blow in.

I'd like to go with keeping the pool running all winter but appreciate yall advice!

Covered will have less debris and hold FC all winter as long as you cover and bring FC up to shock level when water temp stays under 60. Hold off as long as you can. I pull my pump and filter right after I bring it to shock level and when the air temp starts to get below freezing. Mines covered right now.
Not covered you'll lose FC over the winter and maybe have to keep tabs on it. Plus the dirt and what not you'll get in the pool.
In the end it's your call. ?

Each pool and preferences are different. For me, I find it easiest to leave mine open all winter. Almost same climate as you have in Va Beach......probably we're a bit colder but not much.

Each pool and preferences are different. For me, I find it easiest to leave mine open all winter. Almost same climate as you have in Va Beach......probably we're a bit colder but not much.

Three questions:

1. So I assume its just a matter of keeping the pump running 24/7 to ensure the lines and pump don't freeze up? I didn't know if I needed to do that or if I could maybe have it off during the "warmer" part of the day and only switch it on at night??

2. Should I take the cartridge filter out and run pump without it or no?

3. Any need to rubber insulate my pvc water lines and/or large filter housing??

Thanks for any help!!

Somebody makes a cold water detector that will turn the pump on when it gets down to a point that the water might freeze. I have read a few posts about it on this board, but thats all I know about it.

Dave - I'm fairly close to you (in Durham) and plan to keep the pool open this winter. We have tons of leaves, but I'm not ready to drill holes into our decking for a cover just yet.

For both me and the OP, what are your priorities with the pool during the winter in this climate?

Cheers and thanks for such a great community here!
Jon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.