I Surrender!

golf261

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Long story that began 2 weeks ago when I opened my pool cover and discovered green, murky water (could not see the bottom). Had no stabilizer, although had measured about 50 a week or two prior. Added stabilizer and started Slamming. After a few days, water cleared somewhat but still had high C.C. Last Saturday, pulled pool light and what a mess! (that is outlined on the Treating Algae page). Have vacuumed, continue to sweep pool and add bleach. I still am not seeing an improvement in the color of the water. I am testing with the K-6000 with the following results tonight:

ph = 7.5
FC = 29
CC = 0.5
CYA = 60
TA = 250! - my alkalinity usually runs around 170 but the ph doesn't vary much so I usually don't worry about it
CH = 400

Something new that is happening when I test the TA is the sample doesn't turn red (it used to )but turns more of a yellow/gold color. Water sample from the pool looks clear. The pictures below are from this evening and are at the shallow end of the pool. The white "things" in the 2nd picture are reflections of the clouds.

Can the alkalinity be contributing to this? I am at a loss as to what to do! Any help is greatly appreciated!

I suggest you let the FC drop below 10 and retest the pH and the TA. You need to confirm this because the TA test turning yellow (in the beginning) would mean zero TA and very low pH. Here's a link to the Extended Test Kit Instructions http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

Congratulations on cleaning the light niche :goodjob:

You might want to do a deep cleaning on the sand filter, if you have not done one recently:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

If your Alkalinity and Hardness are in fact where they are, clouding can result. I agree with the above, lower your C below 10 and then retest. Lower alkalinity if it is in fact that high.

As you are a vinyl pool and hardness is ok around 80+ your calcium is to high IMHO, have you added calcium or is this fill water that is 400?

Thanks, everyone...I will not add any more chlorine, retest and see where we are.

No, I have not added any calcium, and I have not tested the level in the fill water. I will do that just to see what that shows.

It is going to be nice and sunny here today so I will leave the pool open to start lowering the FC level. When that is down, I will retest and will let you know how things are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.