Guidence on pool store computer please

Jun 6, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Hi all!

I am new to posting here so please give me some guidance. I am finding a large discrepancy between the numbers I am finding with the TFP test kit and the "Alex" computer testing system at the pool store. Let me say, "I am a believer!". My pool was finished in August and it has been clear and sparkly from day one. I have not shocked it once since it has been in the ground as I haven't had to. I had my boric acid, from Duda Diesel, ready when the thirtieth day after the pool was filled hit. I just need to know if the discrepancy in the numbers below are telling about the Biolab testing system used at the local pool store or my testing ability. Does anyone know exactly how accurate and foolproof one of these computerized disk type testing things are?

Thanks,
RK ALEX

FC 8 8
CC under .5 0
PH 7.4 7.6
TA 100 84(65 adjusted)
CH 250 141(total hardness)
CYA 45 62
Borates 80 80

This is easy ... stop going to the pool store to have your water tested. No more confusion.

I have less faith in any of the comupter testing at a pool store than I do of a pool store that uses the proper drop tests ... and that faith is WAY WAY lower than if you test yourself.

Computer light testing judges the reagents they use against a color that is programmed into it. Chlorine of 8 could be making those colors lighter and causing the error. Two years in a pool store using lamotte spin disk taught me one thing...chlorine readings up to 12 are the only thing that I would trust. Drop test would show a Ph of 7.2 while spin disk would say its 8.1 and suggest the customer add x amount if dry acid lol. Drop test will show you the change in color, that's your count for ppm. Pool stores love these systems for one reason, it's simple, baffles the customer, gives suggestions based in what the store impute for parameters and they can have staff with zero knowledge give out advice.

Stay away from any store that is using a computer to test water is my opinion.

A computer is only as accurate as the data input to the machine. I'm not sure what exactly your pool store is using, but we've already determined that test strips are junk. If the computer is accurately reading junk, well....

I haven't let a pool store test my water in over 3 years. It's just not worth the stress.

Thanks everyone. Really the reinforcement I needed (other than a clear pool) to be sure that I am on the right track. Those guys in the pool store say the funniest things.

Testing yourself with a good test kit trumps pool store results any time. It's more accurate and done immediately after sampling the water. Best results you can get. Plus, you actually care about your pool. Most pool stores really only care about removing money from your wallet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a fun fact, but perhaps not particularly valid. Pools take money and space. Not everyone has that. You don't need to own a plane to be really good at flying one.

- - - Updated - - -

I see my listing has changed to senior member. I must have passed some posting threshold. Don't feel like I'm senior in anything, although I am fairly comfortable with the testing and chemistry alignment of my own pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.