Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
What does everyone who has stairs in an above ground pool do to prevent algae - specifically under the stairs.

I have stairs in my above ground pool, and I use a mat underneath them. Last season I had no problems. However this year, when I pulled the stairs when I closed the pool I found algae (green staining) under the stairs and under the mat.

Nothing during the season indicated any sort of problems. My FC consumption was never out of whack. Once in a while (maybe 2-3 times all season) my CC was above zero, and it was never even 0.5 - just a faint hint of pink.

So what does everyone do to prevent algae? Do you pull your stairs / mat on a regular basis to clean under them? I take care of my pool daily (test and add chem as needed) and brush/vacuum weekly.

Thanks

The reason for the green staining is poor circulation there. Do the steps have feet on them or do they sit flush on the mat ? If they don't have feet maybe next year put something under the steps to get them up off the mat a little for better circulation.
If that doesn't help you may have to pull the steps out every so often to clean them and the mat.
Somebody else may have some more ideas. ?

They are these stairs

ajupemus.jpg

(Not my picture - it is from another thread on this site - and I know, this picture has the rails on backwards)

As you can see, there should be pretty good circulation. My stairs are also about 10' downstream from my return, so they get pretty good flow over them. The algae was not just under the "skids" but under the whole bottom.

-dave

They should get good circulation. How many returns do you have, one, two ? Point the return more downward.
The algae on the skids is because they sit flush on the mat. Would it be possible to sit them on something so they don't sit flush on the mat ?

Your steps are awesome compared to mine. I think mine are called wedding cake stairs. All it had was a few circular holes for circulation. Not very good at all. Always have some algae under them but water always clear. Then I cut circlular 1" holes in a bunch of places with a hole saw. Then I made it to where a 1" pipe would fit through one hole and snake its way towards the bottom. When I vacumm I hook up the vacumm hose to it and let it run for awhile through the steps. That way it pulls water through the steps. I had to grind a 1" coupler down on one end to where it fits the vacuum hose. I havent checked how good it does yet but it wont be long till closing and the steps coming out.

They should get good circulation. How many returns do you have, one, two ? Point the return more downward.
The algae on the skids is because they sit flush on the mat. Would it be possible to sit them on something so they don't sit flush on the mat ?

I doubt it. I COULD sit them on something - off the top of my head, four hockey pucks comes to mind. However there are two issues - the minor one being the steps move a bit when they are used, the pucks would slide out - plastic weld would solve that. The bigger issue is the whole stair assembly is hollow plastic. I don't think the bottom supports have the strength to "bridge" two points when there are people on the stairs. They would start to flex (and eventually crack)

-dave

- - - Updated - - -

Your steps are awesome compared to mine. I think mine are called wedding cake stairs. All it had was a few circular holes for circulation. Not very good at all. Always have some algae under them but water always clear. Then I cut circlular 1" holes in a bunch of places with a hole saw. Then I made it to where a 1" pipe would fit through one hole and snake its way towards the bottom. When I vacumm I hook up the vacumm hose to it and let it run for awhile through the steps. That way it pulls water through the steps. I had to grind a 1" coupler down on one end to where it fits the vacuum hose. I havent checked how good it does yet but it wont be long till closing and the steps coming out.

I like that idea a lot. If I happened to be swimming and vacuuming at the same time, I would swim down there with the hose and jam it around under the stairs. But if I was just vacuuming without swimming there was not much I could do. I like the idea of a built in cleaning system to get the water circulating. I think I will cut some 1 inch holes in the stair pad was well, in the middle where nothing rests on it.

-dave

Took my stairs out and closed the pool. There was a little green under them. There is a bag of sand under the stairs that helps hold them down. That is where the small amount of algae was. If the bag of sand hadnt been there blocking the water flow then there probably wouldnt be any algae under them. It was definately alot better using the vacuum pipe than not. Last year we had to take the steps out twice and this year they only came out to close the pool. A big difference but still if your going to slam your pool, you may as well take them out. I know I would.

I stopped putting bags of sand under my steps. They are "Algea Magnets"
Since I have plenty of bleach bottles, I filled several of those with sand, topped off with bleach/water mixture. Perfect weight, even has a handy handle, easy to put in and take out, no more busted sand-bags, no algea growth on bag-seams.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.