Honey Bees

Any idea where they are coming from? Do you possibly have a hive in the yard?

I've found that they are attracted to my hummingbird feeders, so you may think of putting one or two up at the edge of the yard.

Ive got a propane powered fogger that i use for mosquito control around the pool. I "spike" the fogging insecticide with Permethrin. Permethrin is highly toxic to bees. Alternately, you could use a one gallon sprayer with 3oz of permethrin for bee killer. I can make up a "can" of bee killer for about 25c. Its the active ingredient in some insect sprays. You can get it at most feed stores, a large bottle (16oz) is $10.
NOTICE: Any pestiside chemical ending in -rin is toxic to cats in more than minute amounts. (Permethrin, cymethrin, etc......)

Why would you want to kill honey bees when their populations are dwindling?

If they are causing a problem, I am sure there are bee removal companies that will come and get them ... not sure if they even charge to gather honey bees.

Likely they will move along shortly.

I would try to lure them away from the house. Use a sweet liquid (sugar water) in a bowl. Start closer to the house and move it away over the course of a few days. We get them as well and this works. But know this.....
2198f1948ff469c32488a36b80984f3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well just to clarify, I do know the difference between a honey bee and wasp, and i do use the "spiked" fogger sparingly around the pool and carport only, where i used to get red wasps and yellowjackets. Those i terminate without a second thought. I have been stung by a red wasp by just walking by their nest about 15 feet away. Heat of the summer makes them real *****.
We also have around here what we call a wood boring bee. It looks just like a large bumble bee. They drill 3/8" holes in untreated wood (pine) and can weaken building structures. Those don't last long either.

Definitely agree with the last post. Wasps suck. Just like Mosquitos, I can't figure out why they exist. I always tell my kids never to kill a bee. They will not sting unless provoked or trapped. I would try to encourage them to move away from the pool with some other attractant. Maybe plant some flowers away from the pool to try to get them to congregate there instead.

When and if you find it necessary to kill bees/wasps/hornets/yellow jackets, I'd suggest a much less toxic solution - soapy water.

A tablespoon of dish soap in a quart of water is quite effective. The soap reduces the surface tension enough so they can drown. A super soaker is a quite effective delivery mechanism.

I would guess you contacted an exterminating company that quoted $450.

Jason is correct in that our bee population is threatened and declining. Before killing them see if the Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida may have some guidance for you. They have an info email address as well as addresses for the officers o their organization.
I called bee keepers, which catch alive...i didnt want to have to tear my roof open to remove the honey comb, so could not wait. Exterminator wanted 250.00

I would try to find a solution that doesn't involve killing them all off but I do understand wanting to prevent damage to your home. I'm going through a similar dilemma right now with wood******s and my cedar siding. I've tried lots of deterrents and have patched far too many holes in my siding. That pellet gun is looking mighty tempting...

Also the anatomy of a wasp:
1401836642884277.jpg

Haha. Apparently wood****** is a bad term. I'll go with DestroyerOfSiding-er from now on.

I would try to find a solution that doesn't involve killing them all off but I do understand wanting to prevent damage to your home. I'm going through a similar dilemma right now with wood******s and my cedar siding. I've tried lots of deterrents and have patched far too many holes in my siding. That pellet gun is looking mighty tempting...

Haha. Apparently wood****** is a bad term. I'll go with DestroyerOfSiding-er from now on.
Have you tried trapping them? We have land in the mountains of NC and all the neighbors with wood houses have traps which are basically a wood board with predrilled holes that lead to a glass bottle kind of a come to the light kind of thing. They always seem to be filled with dead ones. It's because of these buggers that I have a brick house. The next one will be HardiPlank all the way around!

Here is an example of the trap;
Carpenter Bees: How to Get Rid of Them With This DIY Trap!

- - - Updated - - -

I called bee keepers, which catch alive...i didnt want to have to tear my roof open to remove the honey comb, so could not wait. Exterminator wanted 250.00
Won't you still need to get rid of the comb?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.