When to use low speed?

Bryantom

Apr 7, 2014
Texas
Hey guys I am new to the forum and wish I would have found this site before I had my pool built, but it is what it is. I have a question about my pump, the builder installed a 2 spd pump and told me it would save me money, but never told me when to run the low spd. He said just run the pump on high for 1 hr a day for every 10 degrees of air temp we have. Can someone point me in a better direction?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The short answer is always run on low speed. Only run on high for backwashing and vacuuming. Also disregard that run time suggestion and read this: Determine Pump Run Time

Also wish you found us sooner as you could have saved your money on that Ozone system ... sure seems like they are really pushed down there in TX ... for no real benefit.

Welcome to TFP !
Another time you may want to run on high is if you have a lot of surface debris and low speed isn't skimming them off well. I'm talking about bugs, little gnats, pollen. I get a lot of that type of stuff. Skimmer socks work well on catching that stuff befit it hits the filter !
I know on my pool this the case, but all pools are different. Otherwise always run on low. ?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The short answer is always run on low speed. Only run on high for backwashing and vacuuming. Also disregard that run time suggestion and read this: Determine Pump Run Time

Also wish you found us sooner as you could have saved your money on that Ozone system ... sure seems like they are really pushed down there in TX ... for no real benefit.

Yeah the Ozone thing really ticked me off when I started reading this forum, all it seems to do is pump these annoying bubbles into my pool. As for vacuuming any advice for how long or how many times a week I should do that?

eh, on my system, the floor jets shoot toward the center main drain, so at low speed you're barely getting the dirt off the ground, let alone pushing it the 8 feet to the main drain. I do brush once a week or so, but it would settle before the drain had a chance to get it, if it's just low speed. Plus the new main drains have the suction spread way out along the rim, child drowning prevention standards, so they don't really "suck" as well.

We also gets lots of bugs and beetles in the pool. So skimming is important.

So, for me: 80% speed from 8am-1pm. then 80% again from 9pm to 9:45; I add my daily bleach at 9pm so this gives it time to really churn. Then, 30% speed from 9:45p to 1am. The pump is outside our bedroom window, so this way the pump is quiet while still turning over the water.

Here in AZ, at 1hr per 10 degrees, I'd be running it at 95% for 10 hours a day? Yikes. I haven't seen any algae or CC all summer at the settings above.

I will probably cut back on the daily time as the temp drops.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it's just nice to have it on low speed when you're in the pool our out on the patio sometimes. When the water is TOTALLY STILL it can be weirdly unsettling. Like it's just waiting to become a cess pool.

Well, there are exceptions to every rule and having an in-floor system is one of them. This is one of the disadvantages of those systems, having to run much more on higher speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.