Using The TF100

B69CA

May 9, 2013
Hi Guys,

I have the TF100 from TFTestkits.com, and have had for a while. No issues with the kit, but on my recent refill order I went ahead and got one of the battery powered string devices...

So I have a question, until I had this device, whenever I did the DPD test for chlorine, I used to swirl the cylinder between every few drops until the water went clear.

What I have noticed is a big different, in a reading in the order of 15 drops or more LESS when using the powered stirring device than swirling. So for example, 45 drops with the swirling, and 30 drops with the device until the water goes clear.

So my question is, which one is accurate. My concern is that with the mixing device, i've not had enough chlorine to properly shock whereas if the swirling method is accurate, then switching to the machine could cause me to use too much chlorine.

Please advise.

Thanks as always!
Jon

The SpeedStir is going to be more accurate because it does a better job at mixing. Sounds like you were not swirling nearly enough by hand. Although I am surprised you are seeing that big of a difference. I never noticed that big of a range.

Are you in the middle of a SLAM since the FC levels are so high? I assume you are using a 10ml water sample?

Thanks! I thought as much and you are probably right...

Yes - in the middle of a SLAM but I'm concerned that i've been under-chlorinating. That said however, the pool looks good and tonight i'm going to do an overnight test to see where I am. Assuming the overnight test is good, i'll up to finish off the yellow for 24 hours and then I should be good.

Just wanted to make sure that the SpeedStir was good for the DPD too...

Oh and yes, the 10ml water sample...

Finish off the yellow?? What is that? We need pool details to give you proper advice. I.E. capacity in gals, Equipment etc etc. We have no idea what your shock level is without them. It sorta looks like your fc is really 15 whivh may or may not be your shock level.

Finish off the yellow algae - once my pool is passing the 3 tests, up the chlorine to the yellow / mustard level to ensure the yellow in gone...

I'm think i'm good with my level (shock and yellow / mustard) and my process, was just curious about the different in readings with the two mixing methods, however i'll detail it and happy to adjust if required.

Pool is 10'000gal

pH 7.2
cya 70
ta 80
ch 250
salt 0
temp 86

Maintaining my pool at 30ppm of chlorine (checking 2 - 3 times daily) until my 3 criteria are met and then i'll take it to 40ppm for 24 hours. Running the pump 24 hours a day and cleaning the filter every 2 days.

My pool is a salt system but my salt level is really low until I sort my algae problem, then i'll add salt back and begin using my generator again - its off right now...

Pool is looking great, no signs of algae except the stubborn stains which are gradually going, had to get in a scrub hard in some places and CC reading is zero.

I'll do my overnight test tonight and if it passes then i'll do my yellow shock level until tomorrow.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks all as always for your help!
Jon

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tim and agree although I use a syringe which can be used to inject flavor into meet :) Remove the screwable needle and it makes a really good syringe and sizer and have been using it for a long time now - works great!

Fc of 11 is hardly maintaining 30. According to pool math, your shock level is 28. Oh and the yellow colored water is a sign you're not done with the slam yet. If you pad the oclt, why would you want to Increase it to 40? anything over 28 is a waste.

My wife doesn't let me play with her kitchen toys...

That's superb!

I bought a couple for using with steaks a couple of years back - a job which they were actually terrible for. One day I tool the end off one of them and used it to take water out of my sample bottle - after that it went in my test kit where it has lived ever since...

timerguy - thank you! Where did you get FC of 11 from? If it was from my original post then those numbers were hypothetical and used to just explain the difference in readings, apologies if they caused confusion...

Yes, i'm maintaining at 30 - my DPD drops at 60 (or they are 59 to be precise). I wanted to go just above the 28 and am doing a good job in keeping it there with taking a sample 2 - 3 times daily and topping up...

Thanks again for your help and advice!
Jon

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought you said that was what is was when you did the oclt. But I must have been mixed up from another thread. But 15 is not 30 either. Sorry about the mix up. I see now after rereading your first post, the 30 drops wasn't a real test result, but just a hypothetical example. But then again, you really haven't told us your actual fc test results.

I thought you said that was what is was when you did the oclt. But I must have been mixed up from another thread. But 15 is not 30 either. Sorry about the mix up.

Yep I figured. I checked your profile and saw you were commenting on another thread with similar readings so I gathered you had mixed us up. No problem at all, again, appreciate the help you guys offer here...

Yes, i'm good with my SLAMing process, I've been here a while so do take the instructions and follow them to the letter.

I'll wait until my overnight test is good and then raise the chlorine to finish off the yellow algae and I should be good once again!

Thanks again!
Jon

I thought you said that was what is was when you did the oclt. But I must have been mixed up from another thread. But 15 is not 30 either. Sorry about the mix up. I see now after rereading your first post, the 30 drops wasn't a real test result, but just a hypothetical example. But then again, you really haven't told us your actual fc test results.

Yep - as said, i'm maintaining my chlorine at 30ppm - my last test was 59 drops so just under the 30ppm mark. So, as of 1 hour ago, my FC was 29.5 and my CC was 0

Just edited too to add that i've had it at or around 30ppm for 4 days thus and everything looks great - just my overnight to check tonight before I move onto 40ppm as per the defeating yellow algae instructions...

Thanks again...
Jon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.