Single Speed Pump went out, Replace with 2 Speed Pump? Maybe VS?

WalkinPaul

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Houston, TX
Hi All,

First, let me say that I'm a long time reader/member of TFP forums and want to wish each and everyone here a HUGE Thank You for all the wonderful information that I have found here over the years. You are awesome. :angel:

Reason for my post:
My main pump went out a week ago and I'm looking to replace it.

Current situation:
My Pool is turning green.

I have a small pool, 11000 Gallons, attached spa, with a main 1 HP motor, 3/4 HP BP4-60 Polaris booster pump, and a separate 2-speed spa pump.

I have been reading on the Trouble Free Pool Forums about the great Electricity savings with the Variable Speed or 2-speed motor pumps now available.

I am researching these options for my pool and any information I can find on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced and see attached drawing of my pool plumbing layout.

Current Status:

1. Pursuing 2-speed option.
2. Open to VS option.

Pumps under consideration:

1. Pentair Superflo 1.0HP 340042 w/ onboard 2-speed switch.
2. Haywood SuperPump, tristar, MaxFlo, etc.
3. Whisperpro
3. open for suggestions.

Questions:

1. Based upon the attached system diagram, is there any reason that I can't buy the lowest power consumption, longest lasting pump, available that I can find and run that for as long as needed per day to achieve a clean pool?
2. Will my booster pump for the Polaris (PB4-60 3/4HP 115VAC) work when the main pump is on low speed, basically, will the low speed pump provide enough water for it to run?
3. Will my heater work on the main pump @ low speed? If not, I can run it on high speed when I need to use the heater.

Attachments

• Plumbing.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

Wow that was thorough ;)

Why increase to a 1.5hp pump? I would suggest the 1HP 2 speed Pentair Superflo. Whether the heater will be happy on low speed is hard to say, luckily it does but take long to hear up a spa on high speed though.

Oh and the booster pump will be fine with the main pump on low speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.