Water line tile grout?

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hello TFP members, I am an architect designing a new single-family residence with a pool in Los Angeles and would like to know what grout people are using for the water line tile. We have had mosaic tile come loose in the past on some projects and are looking for the best water line tile grout on the market. Our office has specified C-Cure "MP Non-Sanded 923" in the past which seemed to work. Is there a product any experts would recommend? Maybe a Laticrete grout? Anyone used C-Cure in the past? Lastly, is it better to used mosaic tile with a mesh backer or does it not matter? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Doing some more research in the office I found a spec from a pool consultant... this seems like a pretty good spec. The construction budget for the house is about $8 million (about $125k) for the pool, so money is not a problem. We just want the most bulletproof spec money can buy. Thanks.

Pool-Specs.jpg

Any latex-modified tile grout will perform fine. An epoxy based grout is even better but much more difficult to install and, therefore, fewer tradesmen that can do a nice job with it.

By far, the biggest reason for waterline tiles coming off is improper installation and prolonged, severe weather. There is no type of grout that can save a shoddy workmanship or exposure to weather conditions over time.

I had to repair my waterline mosaic tile that came loose. I used a product called E-Z Patch 22 from http://e-zpatch.com/index.html. I used it to both stick the tiles back onto the wall and as the grout between the tiles. The replaced tiles stick better than the original, "professional" job and the product looks lots better than the original grout (no spalling, efflorescence, etc).

I'm not a professional, though. If money is no object and someone will take the time necessary, I think it would be a nice-looking, effective solution.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.