Huge chlorine appetite

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
We have owned our home since July 30 and I feel really comfortable with my pool. The liner was replaced two weeks before closing so the water is fairly fresh. I have found that any acid, baking soda etc. I add less than the calculator recommends since smaller amounts of these things always hit my goal.

Chlorine is another story! This pool has always had a huge appetite and even with no swimmers and cooler weather it doesn't seem to be any less. I seem to have to add a gallon a day or more to keep my level at 7.

I was coming and testing the water before closing and the PB always had at least five pucks in the chlorinator at a time and the level was always 1-2.

My pool sits in full sun from around 9 am until sundown so I know it will take more but I see folks on here with similar size pools use a lot less than I do. Is this normal?

My CYA is at 40 because I know someone is going to ask:)

Last edited:
If your chemical dosages are always overshooting, sounds like the pool may be smaller than you think and you should lower the # of gallons in PoolMath.

What is your CYA level? Post up a full set of test results.

FYI, it is normal to lose 2-4ppm of FC everyday. I a pool your size, that would be 66-132 oz of 8.25% bleach. So, one 121oz bottle each day could be normal.

I verified my size with the liner installer and he gave me a copy of the measurements and we measured the pool three times after moving in. I wanted to make sure I understood everything about my pool LOL

My test results from yesterday

FC 6
CC 0
CYA 40
TA 120
PH 7.5

Chlorine is consumed by two things.........sunlight (which you have minimized by having 40 CYA in the pool) and organics. The inescapable conclusion for your excess chlorine consumption is organics.....even though you may not see them.

The solution is to SLAM your pool by following the article in Pool School precisely. If you do it right, this SLAM procedure will kill the organics and your chlorine consumption will return to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.