Closing. Shock really needed?

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread to ask your own questions ... it will be less confusing and you will get personalized responses. Thanks, jblizzle

Just curious - is shocking really necessary before closing or is it more of just in case recommendation?

I've had 0 issues since I started using Clorox he 8.25%. Interestingly, I've had days (sunny, low 90s) when 24hr FC loss was under 1ppm. (I didn't really have issues with Austin Chlorine either, but like Clorox better - more predictable. I think Austin may not always been 12.5%)

For the last of couple weeks I didn't test my water, knowing that 64oz of 8.25% adds 2 and raises FC back to 5. (cya 30-40. 22k). Today I tested it and it's 7.5-8. If I had to guess I probably had it above 5 for a couple of weeks now, since the water dropped to 70.

The reason I'm asking this - I want to close my pool this week and I want my FC be around 3 when I put the cover on, but I am not sure if it'll drop from 16 to 3 within 3-4 days. (solid cover manufactures recommend minimum chlorine level, if any). I can't say I'm a big fan of polyquat, used it last closing and had CYA <10 when I opened this spring, but I bought 1 gallon bottle, so I may as well use it

Thanks

I don't use anything in my pool when I close, but I wait until the water temp is below 60. Algae can't grow when the water is cold.

My cover is on now, and my pump runs 3 hrs A day until the water temp drops.

When spring gets here next yr. I open when the water temp is at 60 again.

I don't use anything in my pool when I close, but I wait until the water temp is below 60. Algae can't grow when the water is cold.

My cover is on now, and my pump runs 3 hrs A day until the water temp drops.

When spring gets here next yr. I open when the water temp is at 60 again.

I'm assuming you have solid cover?
What's your chlorine level right now?
How long have you been doing it this way?

thanks

Your CYA is the buffer for your chlorine. It takes the harshness away from the chlorine. Your cover will be fine. You should close when your water temp is below 60 and bring your FC up to shock level and cover. The polyquat is optional. I don't use it and always open to clear water and measurable FC. You open when the water temp is below 60. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.