Sand Filter, should I Backwash

Etek14

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 6, 2008
I had a new pool installed about 1 1/2 months ago and normally use the BBB method but have been trying to increase CYA so recently added shock to the skimmer slowly and a little CYA I had left. I have been running the filter pump at night and off during the day normally. Recently the pump has increased pressure on the gauge to the "clean filter" mark and decreased output on return. Is it possible the shock and or CYA has not dissolved since I did not run 24/7 or maybe just needs a good cleaning. I would rather conserve the CYA in the filter but am concerned about the 1.5hp motor being under a load.

Just added it although it was prob only 3/4lb of CYA. My pressure was running about 15 and now is at 20lb which is clean mark. I could run it awhile and see if it would dissolve some and reduce pressure but didn't want a burned out pump, not sure what the strain is on it but the return water flow is not near what it was.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.