Calcium clouding?

Aug 13, 2008
[Edit:Split Post/Topic:Butterfly]

Hi. I'm new to the site and new to posting as well so please excuse me for repeating things. I just returned from vacation and found the chlorine levels in our 36,000 gal in-ground plaster pool low (FC>1). I shocked the pool using Leslie's Power Powder (calcium hypochlorite) and watched a cloud take over the pool. I understand from the site that the cloud is calcium. I've run the filter (cleaned the filter three times in the process) for the past four days and still have the cloud (mostly in the deep end - 9.5'). For the past two days, I've added Leslie's clarifier with little result. I plan to keep the filter going until it clears up.

QUESTION -- is it safe for the kids to swim in the pool with the calcium cloud present? What if they stay in the shallow end? The pool chemistry seems to be perfect (sorry, I don't have the numbers with me now). Other than never using Power Powder (Leslie's sells a calcium free shock called Genesis -- that I'll be using in the future), any thoughts on how to clean the mess would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
M :hammer:

If your FC level is holding steady at normal levels then it is safe to swim.

Filters can almost never remove calcium clouding. On the other hand, calcium clouding is very sensitive to the CSI of your pool. If you can bring the CSI even slightly negative any calcium clouding will clear up quickly. If you post a full set of water test results we can tell you how to make that happen.

What's in the "Genisis"? I would just use liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) for shocking your pool. :)

As far as the clouding, it may be the calcium but it may still be algae. If you only shocked once that might not have been enough to clear your pool....which is why it's still cloudy. Without a full set of results, it's hard to say. FYI, you are done shocking your pool when you meet the following criteria:

Your FC holds overnight or you lose less than 1ppm;
Your CC is .5 or less;
Your water is sparkling.

Read about shocking your pool and related articles in Pool School.....

JasonLion said:
Genesis from Leslie's is trichlor powder.
Do not use this to shock, it will cause your CYA levels to rise. Remember, shock is a verb--not a noun. In other words it's something you do to a pool (raising the FC high enough to break down CC, burn off organics, or kill algae) and not a special product called 'shock' that you add to the pool. All forms of shock are just chlorine. some have more side effects than others. (I am not talking about non chlorine shock, MPS, here. That is a different animal that really does not provide any benefits in an outdoor chlorine pool but can be useful in indoor pools.)

Thank you all very much. The chemistry looked pretty good but the cyanic acid was high. So I took a sample to Leslie's Pool for analysis and they told me my pH was too high 7.8. I've added some muriatic acid to bring it down and hope that it does the trick. By the way, the pool seems to be clearing (I can see the drain). I appreciate all of the help and hope to make frequent visits to this site. I'm still not sure how to originate a post but will learn as I go. Thanks again.
M

Klondike said:
Thank you all very much. The chemistry looked pretty good but the cyanic acid was high. So I took a sample to Leslie's Pool for analysis and they told me my pH was too high 7.8. I've added some muriatic acid to bring it down and hope that it does the trick. By the way, the pool seems to be clearing (I can see the drain). I appreciate all of the help and hope to make frequent visits to this site. I'm still not sure how to originate a post but will learn as I go. Thanks again.
M

Keep in mind if youre shocking your pool, and your FC is higher than 10, your PH is going to test high....you really should not adjust PH until you can test it when the FC is less than 10, which will give you more accurate results.

(To start a new thread, you just go to a particular forum, and in the top left side of the forum, there is a button that says "New Topic" you click it and start a new thread for yourself.)

Also, it would be helpful for us if you would add your pool equipment and specs to your signature. Go to "User Control Panel" - top left, under the TFP Logo, and then "Profile" and then "Edit Signature" and add it there, like how many gallons, what kind of pool (vinyl?) your pump/filter type, if you have an SWG, etc.. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.