New spa owner but clueless how to use it

Aug 12, 2008
Well I bought a spa a few months ago and finally got the electric installed and it is ready to go today. I have no idea where to start. Anyone have a step by step plan to use to get started. I also need to know filtering times and maintenance..I am using the synergy system for my pool can I use this system in the hot tub?. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to help it would be appreciated.

There is a good article on maintaining a bromine spa. We don't have anything similar for chlorine/synergy that I know of.

Spas are similar in many ways to pools, but there are some significant differences. Synergy is probably not the best choice for a spa because it will tend to add too much CYA.

If you tell us a little more about your spa, indoors/outdoors, covered, etc? we can make some more specific suggestions.

NJpoolguy said:
Well I bought a spa a few months ago and finally got the electric installed and it is ready to go today. I have no idea where to start. Anyone have a step by step plan to use to get started. I also need to know filtering times and maintenance..I am using the synergy system for my pool can I use this system in the hot tub?. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to help it would be appreciated.
Synergy ( or any trichlor system) is not really suitable for a hot tub. Some people do use trichlor in hot tubs but you run the very real risk of crashing the pH and damaging the heat exchanger in the heater. Also a spa is not just a small pool and really requires some different methods because of the high bather to water ratio and the higher temperatures. In chlorine spas overstabilization (high CYA levels) becomes a real heath hazard because it increases the possiblity of 'hot tub itch' (pseudomonas) infection and 'hot tub lung'. Many state health departments have outlawed stabilized chlorine products in commercial hot tubs for this reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.