Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New spa owner but clueless how to use it

1. Back To Top    #1

New spa owner but clueless how to use it

Well I bought a spa a few months ago and finally got the electric installed and it is ready to go today. I have no idea where to start. Anyone have a step by step plan to use to get started. I also need to know filtering times and maintenance..I am using the synergy system for my pool can I use this system in the hot tub?. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to help it would be appreciated.
    Lomart 21ft round 11,000 gal 52"
    Hayward EC40 Perflex DE filter
    1hp Hayward Powerflo Matrix with micro timer
    Pool Rover JR ABG pool Vacuum (The best)

Back up pump and filter
    Spectra 3 sand filter/ Promega 1 horse pump with timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New spa owner but clueless how to use it

There is a good article on maintaining a bromine spa. We don't have anything similar for chlorine/synergy that I know of.

Spas are similar in many ways to pools, but there are some significant differences. Synergy is probably not the best choice for a spa because it will tend to add too much CYA.

If you tell us a little more about your spa, indoors/outdoors, covered, etc? we can make some more specific suggestions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by NJpoolguy
    Well I bought a spa a few months ago and finally got the electric installed and it is ready to go today. I have no idea where to start. Anyone have a step by step plan to use to get started. I also need to know filtering times and maintenance..I am using the synergy system for my pool can I use this system in the hot tub?. If anyone has a few minutes and would like to help it would be appreciated.
    Synergy ( or any trichlor system) is not really suitable for a hot tub. Some people do use trichlor in hot tubs but you run the very real risk of crashing the pH and damaging the heat exchanger in the heater. Also a spa is not just a small pool and really requires some different methods because of the high bather to water ratio and the higher temperatures. In chlorine spas overstabilization (high CYA levels) becomes a real heath hazard because it increases the possiblity of 'hot tub itch' (pseudomonas) infection and 'hot tub lung'. Many state health departments have outlawed stabilized chlorine products in commercial hot tubs for this reason.

4. Back To Top    #4

check out the tips and tricks on my web site there is a lot of usefull info there
    www.poolandspawarehouse.com