Pool successfully closed

Jul 19, 2014
Hudson Ohio
I got the pool all put away and closed yesterday for the first time. Man the firsts are always a pain.

I think I did it right but I guess I will know in the spring... Fingers crossed.

I have a to do list already started for improvements and the first one is hard plumbing the system and eliminating the hoses.

So what are your lessons learned? Want to share your to-do list? I plan to close in a couple of weeks. Me & the kids swam yesterday (74 degrees F) but could not could not get the wife in. Temp was 72 this morning and kids said they were not getting back in. Pool cover arrived yesterday too, so maybe that was a sign.

This is our first year. Had a deck built after the pool was setup. I plan to move the filter about two feet and turn about 180 degrees so that it is less visible and more behind the deck. I would do it now but too heavy. Hopefully after I drain the water out for closing, it will be a little easier to move. After next season, I might consider removing the flex hoses and hard-plumb everything in.

So what are your lessons learned? Want to share your to-do list? I plan to close in a couple of weeks. Me & the kids swam yesterday (74 degrees F) but could not could not get the wife in. Temp was 72 this morning and kids said they were not getting back in. Pool cover arrived yesterday too, so maybe that was a sign.

This is our first year. Had a deck built after the pool was setup. I plan to move the filter about two feet and turn about 180 degrees so that it is less visible and more behind the deck. I would do it now but too heavy. Hopefully after I drain the water out for closing, it will be a little easier to move. After next season, I might consider removing the flex hoses and hard-plumb everything in.

We just had the pool installed late July so it was a short lived season for sure. 76 was the warmest the pool got but anything above 70 works for me. I didn't really run into any problems at all except removing the 'eyeball' fitting to plug the return nozzle for the winter. I think the installer never wanted it to come out. I will need to replace it in the spring. I am also trying the skimmer plug that covers the entire pace of the skimmer so I didn't need to drain the pool down. The one thing I can say is to listen to all of the advice here. I keep a saltwater reef aquarium and understand water parameters pretty well and one thing it has taught me is patience. Nothing good happens fast. Avoid knee jerk reactions to problems i.e magic potions from the pool stores etc. I am still waiting on a decision to invest in a heater... really need a full regular season under my belt first.

1. The TFT-100 test kit should be on everyone's list
2. A solar pool reel is a must have - it made the pool much more enjoyable for me.

On next years list -
1. Hard plumb the plumbing lines - I found it unsightly to have the hoses dangling all over and did not like the added stress of them hanging from the pool skimmer and return.
2. I will build a small shed in the back yard to store seasonal equipment and the pool equipment for the winter. The garage is bulging at the seams.
3. Build a better storage rack for the solar cover
4. have a few trees pruned back :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.