Took out light - what a mess!

golf261

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 21, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Hi, all....I have been a member of this forum for some time but have had very little need to post since I started the TFP method (thanks!). My current saga started a week ago because of my lack of diligence in opening the cover and checking the water :(. Opened the cover last Saturday and the water was green and couldn't see the bottom step. No CYA although the prior week had been 50. Added stabilizer via sock method in skimmer and started with the bleach and sweeping. After keeping FC between 12 - 13 for a few days, finally got CC down to 1 - 1.5 but no lower, and water was still not clear even though FC has stayed at 12 -13. I scrubbed every nook and cranny but no change.

We have not used the light in the pool for some time and I could see water behind the lens so have not even had power going to the junction box for a year. Anyhow, in an effort to get the water cleared, we pulled the light knowing it would be a mess, but even I was unpleasantly surprised! Clouds of black "stuff" came pouring out! Upon closer inspection, the metal ring around the light is brittle and looks as though pieces have disintegrated. You can imagine the condition of the gasket - also disintegrating. We laid everything on the pool deck and removed the bulb.

Now I am in a quanndry as to what to do with the light. I don't care if I have a working light but we can't leave the old one dangling in the water. We have an automatic cover and I don't want to leave it open and the light laying on the deck. Also, we are going to close the pool in 2 weeks so need to get this fixed, as well as get the water clear!

Yesterday after we pulled the light, we vacuumed to waste and replenished water, therefore most likely eliminating a lot the stabilizer I had added. Anyhow, chem readings this morning, using K2005 supplemented with the FAS/DPD powder (from TF Testkits) are:
ph = 7.5
FC = 13
CC = 0.5
TA = 190 ( fill water TA = 220)
CH = 60
CYA = < 30 but is a little cloudy)

My TA usually runs around 160, but I have no problems with ph swing so usually don't worry about it. My CH is down this AM, I am assuming from the water I dumped yesterday.

Plan for today: add some more stabilizer, vacuum pool because I still have a lot of the black stuff from light on the floor, continue to check and add chlorine as needed.

I don't care if I have a working light in the pool but can't just leave this big hole. My thought was to buy a new gasket and stick everything in the niche without a light bulb, but with the metal rim being brittle, don't know if that is a good option. I could buy an entire new light but I don't know if my husband and I can get it installed. Option 3, and most expensive - have pool people install light.

What do you all suggest 1) about the light, and 2) do I need to be doing anything else with the water? I think once I can get all the black stuff out of the pool perhaps the water will be okay. It looks different this morning - more dirty than cloudy, if that makes sense!

I will update my signature - I am not sure what the pump is other than a Century 1 HP. We also have an automatic cover, and the pool is 14 years old and will need a new liner in a year or two!

Thanks in advance for any advise!

...I could see water behind the lens so have not even had power going to the junction box for a year....

I'm not sure how you disconnected power but if it was just shutting off a switch or opening a circuit breaker you may be setting yourself up for a serious safety issue down the road. I'd certainly un-wire the light at the junction box so that some future house guest or owner doesn't cause a dangerous condition by simply turning on a switch or flipping a breaker.

I'm not sure how you disconnected power but if it was just shutting off a switch or opening a circuit breaker you may be setting yourself up for a serious safety issue down the road. I'd certainly un-wire the light at the junction box so that some future house guest or owner doesn't cause a dangerous condition by simply turning on a switch or flipping a breaker.
:goodpost:

Yup, even with a new gasket this is a great idea. Unless you are going to put the light back in service and fully test everything, disconnecting the wire is a great idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.