Completed Conversion from Baqua to Chlorine -- Next Step?

Aug 12, 2008
This is my first post on TFP. Let me begin by thanking everyone at TFP for all the helpful information that enabled me to convert a green algae filled Baqua pool to a sparkling clear chlorine pool in just 10 days! :goodjob:

Today I started adding CYA to the pool (20 oz of CYA in an old sock by the return jet). I will replace the sand in the filter this Friday which should eliminate the 2 ppm CC that I am still seeing. Here are today's chemistry results (taken before sunrise)

FC 15.0
CC 2.0
pH 7.4
TA 130
Ca 190
CYA 0

For the last 10 days I have been adding enough bleach at sunset to achieve 15 ppm. As the CYA begins to show up in the pool, how much bleach should I add at night? Continue with 15 ppm, or shoot for lower and lower ppm? Is there a table (chlorine to add versus CYA ppm) I should follow?

I have some conversion pictures that I will soon post. :-D

In the final stages of a baquacil conversion you should continue bringing the FC level up to 15, even after you add CYA, until the CC level goes down to 0.5. The only exception to that would be if your CYA level goes over 50, then you should raise FC to shock level for your CYA level.

I would love to see your pictures!

Replacing the sand in the filter will help a bunch but I'm not sure you're quite done. Generally, we say The process is complete when:
A. You hold FC loss to 1.0 or less overnite
B. Your CC's test .5 or less
C. Your water is sparkling

How much overnite FC loss are you experiencing? If you can get that down to around 1.0 or so, then you are surely complete.

It's probably okay to change the sand on Friday but, if you do, keep that FC up around 15 'til right before you change it.....it sounds to me like you have a little baquagoo left.

Once you meet the three criiteria above, you should let your FC drift on doen to the appropraite level for your CYA. So, if you're targeting 40 CYA, your FC should be around 3-5ppm....all the time.

BTW, congratulations! Nice work!

Thanks for the quick replies!

I will keep FC at 15 ppm until CC is 0.5 ppm or less. I will shoot for CYA around 40 ppm, so after I get to 0.5 ppm CC I will reduce FC to 3-5 ppm.

My drop in FC has been less than 1.0 ppm overnight for the last two nights. I have brushed and vacuumed the pool and removed the stairs several days ago ( covered inside with green algae! :grrrr: ), so it seems that the baquagoo in the sand filter may be cause of high CC.

Will let you know what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.