Is anti-freeze necessary when closing the pool?

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
Hi
First I just want to say how thankful I am that this site is here. You are a wonderful resource!
We paid our pool installer 350+ bucks each time for the last 2 years to close our pool :brickwall: I just can't do it this year. I was not happy about paying it the first year but figured I would learn how to do it. The second year I wanted him to show us how to do it so we could do it ourselves, but he was pretty much done by the time I realized he was in the yard. :mad: I am 90% sure that he did not use anti-freeze and I know that he did not lower the water level . They specifically told me not to lower it before he came out. He said it was easier if the water level was not lowered. He blew out the lines, plugged the returns and put a gizmo in the skimmer bucket and put the safety cover on. He also somehow winterized the filter - but this part I am fuzzy about again because they did most of this before I even knew they were at the house. About 15 minutes, maybe 20, and he walks out with $350. That is about a week of substitute teaching for me! (before taxes!)
But I digress, a lot - Is it possible that he didn't use antifreeze - I am pretty sure he didnt. We live in Central PA, north of Philly and we had a very cold snowy winter last year. The pool was fine when we opened it - just green ;)
I have been reading the main post on how to close an IG pool and there are so many variations, it is a bit daunting.:confused:
Questions:
1. Is it possible/advisable to close the pool using an Ultra Gizmo/Super Gizmo and not use antifreeze?
2. Which is better to use to blow out the lines, an air compressor or a shop vac? Right now I do not have either and will need to buy or borrow one. Any recommendations that will not break the bank?
3. Is there an online video that someone could recommend on how to blow out the lines and prepare the filter for winter?
4. I do remember the pool guy telling us not to put a cover on the filer/heater during the winter because the condensation would increase the likelihood of rot/rust - but I have read on this site how some pool owners cover their equipment for the winter. We left ours uncovered the past 2 years. Which is the correct way to handle it?
Thanks in advance for any help

I have an inground pool so I am not certain how it would work in your situation but I have not used anti-freeze during the closing this year. The first year I used a pool company to close it they told me not to add as its a waste so I am sticking to it. No problems so far, last year I used a different company and I do not know if they added it. I will add some to the skimmers though and perhaps some to the spa.

I have an inground pool so I am not certain how it would work in your situation but I have not used anti-freeze during the closing this year. The first year I used a pool company to close it they told me not to add as its a waste so I am sticking to it. No problems so far, last year I used a different company and I do not know if they added it. I will add some to the skimmers though and perhaps some to the spa.
Thanks for that and I see that you are in my neck of the woods as far as climate goes - so I won't feel bad about not using the anti-freeze. My brother who lives near Poughkeepsie, NY puts antifreeze in his lines.
There are a lot of variations on how people close their pools - a bit confusing for someone starting out
Thanks for your reply

Thanks for that and I see that you are in my neck of the woods as far as climate goes - so I won't feel bad about not using the anti-freeze. My brother who lives near Poughkeepsie, NY puts antifreeze in his lines.
There are a lot of variations on how people close their pools - a bit confusing for someone starting out
Thanks for your reply

Yes I am fairly close to PA up in northern NJ, I am zone 6a so we get colder then most of NJ. I grew up in Yorktown Heights NY so I know Pughkeepsie fairly well through HS sports visits. And yes the variations are endless. I tried watching some youtube vidoes on closing all kinds of pools and sure enough my pool was yet different in some aspects. I think the main thing is if you are certain you cleared out ur lines then ur good to go, if not then maybe adding some antifreeze is a good idea. On the other hand my lines are well below freeze line underground and urs might not be with an above ground pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.