New house, old pool: Algae

Tanker

Sep 20, 2014
Elgin, IL
Hi! I just bought a house with a pool and am doing a "professional" closing on Wednesday. Former pool owner and successful (in the past anyway) K2006 user.

Pool stats: 16K in-ground, badly faded vinyl. Sand filter, 1hp pump.

Scoured green-algae covered jets, steps, skimmer, built-in steps, behind pool light. Original test results were silly. No CYA, low pH, no FC. I have added in the week that I have had the house, 40 gallons of 12.5% CL, 12C 99% dichlor, 4 boxes borax, and DE to filter after both back-washes.

Water now "clear". CC finally down from >5ppm. I add at least 4G CL at night and don't retest until the next afternoon and now getting around 5-6 FC in the afternnon with 0 to 0.5 CC. I work from 4am- 1pm so had to wait until tonight to do an OCLT. Tonight was to be the night, but I need help!!!

7pm test results:
FC 4.5
CC 0
PH 7.4
CYA best guess 25-30
TA 150
CH 400

Added 4 gallons 12.5%

An hour later:

It looks like 13 FC but the color is GREY instead of clear. I went ahead and kept adding drops but grey stayed

CC is either 2 or 16. At 2 it turns grey, at 16 it gets more clear.

Why am I getting this grey color? I have never seen that before.

I am almost out of time before closing and would love to get overnight test results but don't know how interpret my starting point tonight. Can someone help?

Last edited:
What test kit are you using?

It would also help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

I just bought the house so I don't know about CH. I moved from down the block so I assume it's not the fill water but will test it after I am done closing. The former owners used BioGuard products and I'm guessing they used a lot of calcium hypochlorite bags. You can actually see exactly where they dumped bags in and never stirred to dissolve it. There are many ~3x12" patches of speckled-white fading on the vinyl floor. Geez.

As for reagent, that's a thought, but I am sure I used the R0871. Our 12.5% can be really strong as it is packaged near here. Maybe the FC was really high? The liner is bad anway, so I was aiming for around 35-40ppm by adding 4G of 12.5%. I wonder if I actually might have gotten to >50ppm. They say Taylor tests only to 50. Just a thought.

They say Taylor tests only to 50. Just a thought.
That's a guideline but only a guideline. I have tested 76 ppm FC accurately using the FAS/DPD test.

I think the 50 ppm might be more of a , "why would you go any higher than that, anyway?" sort of limitation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.