Closing an AG pool in warm climate

Pne123

Aug 11, 2014
Anderson, ca
I am sure this been asked but should I drain and cover my pool if I live in an area that does not freeze. I live in NorCal, redding, we get snow that does stick once every couple of years. It will drop into the teens at night but never stays below freezing during the day. We always get a freeze warning if it is going to get that cold. Can I just leave the pool full, cover it and run the filter and SWG all winter? I could still check and add chemicals as needed. And when it is super cold, the teens, at night I could run the filter longer to keep it from freezing. Or is it just better to shock the pool, drain it below the filter intake and cover it? I just put my intex pool up 2 months ago so it is all new to me.

You could leave it uncovered if you like. You could also get a leaf net for it to keep the leaves out.
Your SWG will stop working when the water temp drops to certain point. Not sure what temp that would be for your SWG. You will then have to manually add bleach to keep FC levels in range for your CYA level and test every so often. Adding some polyquat 60 algaecide would be good in a warmer winter climate.
Yes if it gets to freezing just let your pump run if your ok with that.
The other route would be a solid cover. You'll maintain FC levels longer that way and keep pump and filter hooked up.
Other option is solid cover and when water temp is below 60 bring FC level to shock level and pull pump and filter. Could also add some polyquat 60. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.