cloudy water

Sep 13, 2014
petal, ms
completed SLAM due to mustard algae. Overnight residual showed clear. Water is pretty but cannot see bottom of deep end yet.

20,000 gal vinyl
Started using bleach 1 week ago after joining this site.
All values are good.
Should I use some type of clarifier?
Filter sand has not been changed in 5 years.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If you can not see the bottom, then you are failing 1 of the 3 criteria used to determine when you have completed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

I think you need to review the process ... also post up a full set of test results as "values are good" is meaningless to us.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Jason has given good advise, but to answer your last two questions-

No to adding clarifier. It is used in some unusual situations, but with what you have described you are not near that yet.

Generally it is not necessary to change the sand in your filter. It really doesn't wear out. The filter may need a deep cleaning, but that is something to deal with later.

Tim 505:

I have a Sand Filter and finished my first Season. Rarely backwashed as the pressure stayed pretty constant. I believe 2X in the summer. Had to backwash a few times during construction and the release powder for the stamped concrete. Now the question is "What and How do you deep clean a sand filter". We were told that you should replace your sand every 3-5 years. Unless I have bird waste and other contaminants in the system, why would it need to be changed? And is it not chlorine that cleans everything up? I am very picky about a clean pool. If a leaf is in the pool for more then a day, that is a lot. I work from home a few days a week so it is easy for me to clean the pool during a break.

We were told that you should replace your sand every 3-5 years.
The folks who told you it needed to be changes probably sold that "service". Sand really doesn't wear out. The link Jeff posted shows ho to do a deep cleaning.

The only time I'm aware that TFP recommends a change is when switching from Baqua (peroxide based) sanitation to chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.