Ready to convert....will need guidance--completed pix

daniym

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2008
West Point, VA
[Edit:Added paragraph breaks to make it easier on the eyes:Butterfly] :wink:

I've had my pool for years now, using the Baquacil system as I was sold in the beginning. Each year, I seem to have more problems with a green or cloudy pool. Thus, I came to find this forum. For several reasons, I am ready to convert.

I've read numerous posts here of people who are satisfied after converting, and I'm also hoping I can keep my pool maintenance costs lower than what I have been spending each pool season.

I've ordered the TF-100 test kit, and been using that to get my PH levels in check. I think my husband has successfully gotten the pool down to a PH of 7.2 now. We seem to have always had high PH levels, and with guidance of the pool store guys, we've always lowered PH, added calcium hardness increaser, and done the Baquacil maintenance.

This year, the pool went green not long after July 4th, and it's been a constant battle since. I haven't added any Baqua products to it in about 2 weeks, in preparation for the conversion (and since I was headed out on vacation) but I have kept the filter running. When we went to get more sand for the filter, the pool store guys started talking to us about premium algaecide, some kind of oxidizer than will enhance the pool, phosphate removers, etc. I declined anything, saying I'd bring the water to be tested, and bought the sand.

If I can steer clear of the pool stores, that would be great as it's a 45 minute drive one way for me, and I seem to spend too much with little results. They also said there would probably be MORE problems with algae or whatever if I switch my pool to chlorine. I'm still wlling to try. i've looked around at pool school articles, the calculator, etc. Just need to stock up on bleach.

My main questions are: 1.) when is conversion complete? 2.) After its complete, do I add CYA to help keep chlorine levels stable (pool is in full sun all day), 3.) When will it be safe to swim in again?, &4.) will i need to test calcium hardness and increase it (I've found conflicting info for vinyl pools). Thanks!!

Re: About ready to convert....will need guidance

Hi daniym,

After you read the article Tiz suggested, post back here with any questions you may have.

We have many members that have gone thru the same process and you will have lots of help!

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Pour bleach slowly in front of a return (with the pump running).

It is safe to swim when you have added CYA.

The conversion is complete when CC is 0.5 or lower and the FC remains the same overnight.

You add CYA slightly before the conversion is complete, when the FC level remains the same overnight. This is very likely to be before the CC level has gone down to 0.5.

You should test CH occasionally. It is unlikely that you will need to add any CH. Keep CH between 50 and 300.

update so far:
-started yesterday at 1:15, added bleach to bring up to 15 ppm FC
-added more at 3:45
-added more again at 7:15 and brushed the pool, starting to see LOTS of white stuff floating in the pool and some goop in the skimmer, etc.
-added water to pool, backwashed, and added more bleach at 11:00 PM to bring up FC level, brushed pool

-this morning at 6:45 AM, FC held to 4.5 ppm overnight, so added enough bleach per Pool Calculator (HANDY TOOL!) to bring up to 15 ppm
-added more bleach at 10:50 AM, to bring back up to 15 ppm

About to test again, and add as needed. Will probably need to go out tomorrow and buy more bleach. My pool is a milky white color, when we brush we get some light orange mixing in.

Do we need to try to vacuum to waste?---this white stuff in there settles quite a bit but it's so fine, you can't get it with the net.

Should we be testing anything else during conversion, or just focusing on the FC for now?

THANKS!!!

UPDATE: Have been testing and adding bleach since Wednesday. The pool water is a pretty blue color, though not completely clear yet. We can see to the bottom step, but it's cloudy still. Overall, it looks a TON better than it did before, and has a sheen to it I'm not sure we've seen.

During this process, should I be testing anything besides FC or focus on that until it holds overnight?

Test your pH before you add any bleach the next time (high FC >10 interferes with the pH test) and get your pH down to 7.2 if it is higher.

Mostly for now your focus is on the FC, but if you can keep the pH at 7.2 it will help things along a bit faster!

How is your FC overnight? how are your cc's?

We used The Pool Calculator last night to up the FC to 15 ppm again, and when my husband tested this morning, it was at 12 ppm. CC is staying at about 1.5 to 1.

I have tested PH once more during the process, and it was still 7.2
Will test it again this afternoon when my FC is low again, and adjust it if needed before adding more tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I'm reading another post that says 10-12 ppm is the aim, but I am calculating to 15ppm each time I add bleach to raise chlorine---is that ok in my vinyl-liner pool (I'm thinking its too late now :shock: )

Re: Ready to convert....will need guidance--added pix

I had some friends and family members over yesterday, and they all commented, though not CLEAR, how GREAT the water actually looks. Just sparkling and fresh looking. I can't wait until I can see the liner completely again--with that sparkle, it will be so nice. I know I have little swimming season left, but I refused to spend more at the pool store buying the tons of other things they were suggesting. This site is wonderful!

I haven't been adding as much during the day, because the full sun is killing me on bleach consumption. We've been through at least 38-40 gallons so far. This small town I live in can't keep up with me on stocking up the bleach shelves....

Re: Ready to convert....will need guidance--added pix

It's been 7 hours since I last put bleach in the pool. The sun loved it.
FC=0.5
CC=1
PH=7.4

So what I want to know is should I adjust the PH down, and how soon after I add that can I add the bleach again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.