Telescopic Pole - where to get a decent one ?

Feb 4, 2008
Princeton, NJ
All,

with the pool I received a telescopic pole that is so flimsy that the holes to which the tool attaches are worn out already (twice the size) and I can deform the pole with two fingers. Sometimes the brush falls out when I apply and kind of force because it deforms so easily. BTW the problematic lower tube is a thin blue "corrugated" aluminum tube.

So after googling I orders a "deluxe three piece pole" from Leslie's which is just as bad - I'll return it unused.

Where can I get a decent pole these days ? Mail order or real store ... (I am in NJ)

Thanks a lot !

Patrick

i got mine from lowes. it was a white 8' long that will strtch out to 24'. i originally brought it for my crab pot before i got my pool, and it worked wonders.got it about 5 yrs ago though, but it still works beautifully now.

Patrick,

I agree with you about the less expensive poles. I bought one of these...the 5009 model:

http://www.skimlite.com/5000.html

I can't find my receipt, but I think I bought it from coolpooldeals.com online.

In addition to the better pole material, the locking mechanism is a big plus over my original pole. The poles are twisted to lock and unlock instead of having a separate locking mechanism. I can unlock, extend and lock the pole without having to set the end of the pole on the ground. I'm affraid I can't explain this very well, but it is a big plus I was unaware of until I had the pole in my hands.

I HIGHLY recommend getting a fiberglass pole, preferably a 12-24' because eventually the cam is going to wear out and 8' is rarely adequate.

Fiberglass poles have two big advantages in my book:

-They don't kink/bend, so you don't ruin the pole by bringing up a leaf rake full of worms and maple leaves (not that you'd ever let your pool get to that state).
-They don't conduct temperature much. Nothing worse than trying to use an aluminum pole November-March. The fiberglass is still a little cold, but it takes the torture element out of the equation.

Yes good point about the temperature. We almost had frost tonight, today we are closing the pool and my hands froze from skimming some leaves off the surface this morning.

Also, fiberglass does not conduct electricity ... might come in handy, unlikely but still ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
spishex said:
I HIGHLY recommend getting a fiberglass pole, preferably a 12-24' because eventually the cam is going to wear out and 8' is rarely adequate.

Are the fiberglass poles UV stabilized? I know some fiberglass can deteriorate after sun exposure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.