Purpose of SLAMing before closing if water is perfect ?

Jan 7, 2012
Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

We have a SWG and follow the BBB method. Our water has been perfect all year. I am getting ready to close the pool and tested the water this morning and everything is right within our target range. The Pool School "Closing an In Ground Pool" suggests SLAMing the pool two to three days before closing. Why would I need to SLAM it if my water is perfect ?? Could I just add the Polyquat and then close without creating any future problems ?? Thanks

As far as I know, the Slam before closing is to bring the FC up to a level high enough that while you don't have circulation the chances of growing undesirables is reduced.

I'm not sure about the Polyquat, if you would still need to SLAM. Perhaps others here could answer that.

The suggestion to SLAM is an insurance step to make sure everything is killed off before closing the pool. I suggest to run an OCLT with an elevated FC level of perhaps 10 ppm since you haven't been having problems. If you pass the OCLT then you are good to close, if not, a full SLAM should be completed. The article suggested it would take a few days to complete because it suggest for the FC level to drop down some. If you only raise it to 10 or your desired closing level you will be good to go without needing the FC to drop.

I would raise my FC up to shock level with bleach for your CYA level for closing. You'll have a real good chance of having FC there when you open. I had 4 ppm of FC when I opened after 5 months.
Also water temp is critical. You want it below 60 for closing and opening. Low 50's is what I shoot for.
Also if you could add all your pool, equipment and location to your sig that will help us better help you. ?

I would raise my FC up to shock level with bleach for your CYA level for closing. You'll have a real good chance of having FC there when you open. I had 4 ppm of FC when I opened after 5 months.
Also water temp is critical. You want it below 60 for closing and opening. Low 50's is what I shoot for.
Also if you could add all your pool, equipment and location to your sig that will help us better help you. ?

This^^^^^.
I have an IG SWG pool and close it at about 65 degrees. I usually run about 7ppm on my FC. I take it up close to shock level over a couple weeks (in the process of doing this now). I turn my cell up from 70% to 100%. Add 2 gallons per week of 12.5% liquid chlorine. After the first 1/2 gallon last Saturday I am at 17.5 with my cell at 100%. Added another 1/2 gallon today and will check next weekend. My water is still at 68.

Having an auto over helps keep my FC in the pool. Especially when with heavy use I am "normal" at 70%, now with no use (kids are wussies) and 100% she is climbing quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.