New to TFP and need help with high cya and black algae

Good morning!!! I feel like I've conquered a giant!!!!

This morning's readings

FC 15
CC .5

I'm going to bump up the chlorine to 18 again and hold it until I can pass the OCLT. In the meantime, I'll be scrubbing. BTW The plaster looks absolutely perfect. Like the day it was finished!

I noticed this morning that the water feels thin,light. Like there is no mineral content. Is it just me? I'd rather have clean water than silky water, but was wondering if this was common. I have an Nature2 cartridge in currently.

Thanks for everything. You've helped me save a fortune in plaster and have taught me, finally, how to properly manage my pool.

You WILL be able to tell a difference in the feel of the water.

After a while you will be able to just look at your water and know what your numbers are! Go ahead and test and adjust as needed.

I think it is neat you could see a "new" clearness of your water. There is clear than there is TFP clear!

Kim

I'm embarrassed to admit that it's more habit than anything else. The pool came with the unit and somehow I thought it reduced chlorine consumption. It certainly makes the water feel nice. I have to admit, for the last few years I feel like it is a huge scam. Those cartridges are expensive! Is there any benefit to using it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I bought the chlorine from a local small chain pool store, At Home Recreation. There's no date on the packaging, but it was made by Buckman's in PA. It comes in 5 gal plastic jugs that you pay a deposit for when you buy it. I'd asked about the freshness when I bought it and all they told me was that they go through a truckload of chlorine each week and that it was fresh, so who knows. As their best customer over the past few days, I can say that they do seem to go through a lot!

Thanks Kim! I always thought my pool was clean. It looked clean. I must say that when I looked at the water this morning, I was amazed. I can tell you exactly what the difference is, but that pool is CLEAN! I love it! I'm excited to learn more about the maintenance process and can't wait to have independence from the pool store!!

There is no real benefit to the nature 2 if tout are maintaining adequate chlorine levels. There is a risk off staining your pool and turning hair green though due to the metals. We never recommend adding metal to the water and it really should not affect the feel.

Just wanted to give you all a quick update. It has been a week and a half since I SLAMmed my pool for the first time ever and I am now a TFP convert!!

I started the process on Saturday the 20th and by the end of day on Monday the 22nd had gone though 30 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine. I was able to achieve a FC level of 18 and passed the OCLT and had a CC of < .5 by Wednesday the 24th, but kept the FC at shock level through Saturday. I scrubbed the entire pool at least once a day and the black algae locations at least twice a day.

So far, it seems to have worked! I have let the FC come back down to the 4-5 ppm range and have not brushed the pool since Saturday. In the past the black aglae spots would have returned in a day or two, but so far, nothing!! I am going to keep a close eye on it until the pool is closed in two weeks, but it looks promising!

I'll post back before closing and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all of the terrific advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.