Why does the pressure drop?

Pressure should rise. You may be adding the DE too quickly and it is clogging the impeller or something else in front of the filter or even the pressure gauge.

Pressure should rise. You may be adding the DE too quickly and it is clogging the impeller or something else in front of the filter or even the pressure gauge.

Brand new gauge so I guess I'll take the impeller apart and take a look. I do add the DE fast but I thought it would still not clog the impeller. That stuff is so fine I'd of thought that it would just flow through. We'll see in a few minutes.

Did you add the DE before the new gauge was installed? DE can plug the small hole in the gauge.

Also, you should probably read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

I added the DE about a week after I installed the new multiport. I actually have 2 gauges on this and they're both equal.

I just took the impeller apart and found nothing in there. I used an air compressor and blew the lines all out, so that tells me their clear. I do notice a couple of drips on the pump side of the multiport. Could the leak cause me to have a wrong reading? I just added DE again and the pressure dropped again.

So confusing.

It almost sounds like the pressure gauges are after the filter instead of before the filter. That is exactly what would happen if the filter was installed backwards.

The DE is causing a clog somewhere before the pressure gauges so that can mean one of two things. The clog is before the filter (e.g. multi-port, pump, suction line) OR the gauges are after the filter and the DE in the filter media is causing a lower pressure at the gauges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.