I am an idiot and listened to Leslie Pools. Now I need help please!

Aug 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
First of all, this is an awesome thread and there is so much useful information, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed so decided to post to see if someone can provide quick advice or direct me to a relevant thread.

I have a 13.5 IG pebble-tech in Phoenix, AZ (I will add this to my signature line). We have had some heavy rains here that seemed to have messed up some levels and turned the pool green. I had someone come out and "fix" the pool last week, but after $150 later, the pool turned blue, but stayed cloudy. The green pool returned today even after brushing and making sure there were tabs (I realize that this might not be enough now after reading your forum).

I got my levels tested today at Leslie's. (I know I need to buy the right tester - right now I am using strips from HD - but where do I find this on the forum?). Here are my levels according to Leslie's:

FC = 0
CYA = 90
TA = 40
PH = 7
Base Demand 4
Copper = 0
Iron = 0
TDS = 3900
Phosphates = 450

Their recommendation is to drain the pool. This doesn't seem like a good option to me. First of all, I don't know how to drain. Do I just backwash? Do I just dump it in the alley? How do I hook it to a septic line? I am in downtown Phoenix and there is not a drain in site to pour it down. Can I adjust these levels without draining or will this be a constant problem?

The other big mess up is they told me to use granular shock (which I think is dichlor) and add more pool tabs (probably also dichlor). Did I seriously mess things up now? I added 8 cups of baking soda (to bring up the alkalinity), 4 tabs and and 2.5 pounds of granular shock (all at their recommendation). I have been running the pool pump for about 3 hours. When do I test the levels again? Should I take it back to Leslie or are the strips okay and go from there or can I buy the recommended test kits in store?

Thank you all for your help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You certainly need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value and can be bought from poolsupplyworld.com which might get here a little faster than from tftestkits.net

If that CYA is correct (and would not surprise me if you are using a lot of tablets), then you really do need to replace around 50% of the water to get that back in range. Then to clear up the pool you have to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

The Dichlor and more trichlor tablets are just making your CYA problem worse ... and they are also what is making your pH and TA crash low.

The test strips are worthless and likely you should just throw them away. Leslie's testing is not much better ... you need a drop based test kit.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

The thing that concerns me the most out of your description is that the pool turned blue, cloudy blue is not a normal color for pools and may indicate some type of metals in your water although green or brown are more common colors we see with copper or iron in the water. Blue tends to be something more exotic, and since we don't know what was added last week this could be a side effect of some magic potion.

You will need to decide if you want to join the thousands of pool owners who use the tools and methods recommended here, and learn how to manage your own pool. That means accurate testing with a good test kit learning that you only add what the pool needs, and rejecting any advice from pool stores. It starts with ordering a good test kit (the TF-100 is highly recommended), and reading the info contained in "Pool School". That's the button on the upper right of this page.

Thank you all for your comments. TF100 is already on its way. I decided to not waste any more money on chemicals, wait until the test kit arrives and then drain, but my concern now is how to drain.

I bought the house in February and have no idea how old the water is or how to tell what drain equipment I have. So how do I accomplish draining? I know I have a sand filter. Do I drain all at once? Where do I get the pump? Can I backwash for a while? Where do I dispose of water? I live in downtown and there is not a drain in site, just an alley and a very small space in my yard. Do I test after refilling/during the process? Any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!

If you can post photos of your equipment we may be able to offer more help, also does your pool have a floor drain, and if so are there valves so you can isolate it from the skimmer. Worst case is you will need to buy a cheap $50 submersible pump from somewhere like harbor freight. It would also help if you post general information about your pool in your signature, like size, type of equipment, type of pool, etc.

Would it be possible to use the water from the pool to water your yard over several days?

WELCOME! You are on the right track!

Find TFP-done!
Ask questions-done!
Order test kit-done!

Now post up some pics using a site like photobucket or such.

Draining-Isaac has you covered.

Also post pics of your pool. Take a pic of your ladder or steps. Once you start working on your pool again you will want to take daily pics to see your progress and let us watch with you.

We can get you clear again. Just let us know what you are doing and we can guide you.

Oh, one more thing. Go ahead and look around for your best price for bleach or liquid chlorine. Some people find it at walmart (greater value bleach) and some people find it at their pool store (the only thing they buy from there LOL). I find mine at my local ACE Hardware up the road. Make sure you look at the %. Walart will be 8% or so. Pool store may be 11% so........

Good luck!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or buy a cheap vacuum setup and set that on the bottom and set pump to waste. That's what I do if I need to drain some water off. But I have 40 acres to "water".

But first determine if a drain and refill is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your house should have a main drain you can access from the outside - get underwater pump - run the exit hose into the outside drain - and you are good to go...

Thank you all for your comments. TF100 is already on its way. I decided to not waste any more money on chemicals, wait until the test kit arrives and then drain, but my concern now is how to drain.

I bought the house in February and have no idea how old the water is or how to tell what drain equipment I have. So how do I accomplish draining? I know I have a sand filter. Do I drain all at once? Where do I get the pump? Can I backwash for a while? Where do I dispose of water? I live in downtown and there is not a drain in site, just an alley and a very small space in my yard. Do I test after refilling/during the process? Any tips would be very helpful.

Thanks!

So, I'm finally ready to switch to this method. After much rain and electricity going out, I am finally draining the pool after the algae grew. I can't seem to attach all the pics I took. I bought a sub pump from HF which was much cheaper than HD. I am going to do a chlorine wash and scrub the pool. Do I also need to do an acid wash? How do I get rid of the calcium buildup? Will CLR work?

Attachments

• 20141005_174433.jpg
    20141005_174433.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20141005_174439.jpg
    20141005_174439.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 179

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.