Calcium adding in plaster pool???

Sep 11, 2013
Cocoa, fl
I have read a lot on here regarding adding calcium. There seems to be different was and processes. My question is.....I need to add 16 pounds, I will mix in bucket first. But whats the most I can add in one day? Or can I do all 16 pounds in one day? Current level is 175 want to get to 300 being I have SWG and plaster pool. Thanks so much

I recently added 25#s of calcium to my pool.

I added it in 4 - 5 lbs at a time. I just used a regular scale for measuring body weight to measure.

I didn't dilute - just broadcast over the deep end.

I kept the pump running through the entire process.

Added at about 2 hr time intervals.

Halfway through I did measure CH to see if I was on track with expected change and I was.

Afterward I did vacuum the pool and the CH did raise a little more afterward. So I probably did have some settle during the process but it worked out fine for me.

Didn't have any issues with cloudiness that some people have reported then adding calcium.

If you want to be a little more accurate then you could start testing at the halfway point but then test after each addition, maybe make the later additions smaller, vacuum or run robot and add a little more pump time in between the later batches before testing.

If you follow what I did then you would only be adding 8 lbs in a two hour period - 4lbs in first batch and then another addition 2 hours later.

I am not an expert on testing after an addition but pool school says that with the exception of CYA that you should have accurate tests in 1 - 2 hours. JasonLion said - "Normally, it should take calcium chloride an hour or two with the pump running to dissolve and show up on the test."

If you want the best test accuracy I would make sure you have good circulation and would even recommend that you run the robot or vacuum to ensure everything is dissolved and mixed in to the water and not sitting on the bottom. Even if you mix it in a bucket first there may be some that is not dissolved.

Your best bet is slow and steady. I would suggest you add half the amount using the 2-hour interval method with dilution in pool water first and allow the pool to mix for a day. Brush really REALLY well, then test to see where you are. Use PoolMath with current values to see how much more you need to add. Too often people just try to dump chemicals all in at once and that is when you get big problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.