Are Winter Kits needed?

Sep 17, 2012
Hello,

I was hoping to get clarification on if winter chemical kits are really needed for my pool (it's a vinyl liner inground with a mesh safety cover). Can you advise on what chemical maintenance is really needed over the winter? I'm wondering since I have a mesh cover if I'm just wasting the extra money on chemicals that are going to get diluted anyway. Thanks

The only chemicals you absolutely need for closing are the bleach you already have if following TFP methods and RV antifreeze for the skimmers and lines. Polyquat 60 is an optional algaecide that you could add for some insurance but not required. Waiting until water temp is solidly below 60 degrees goes a long way as well.

Read through this guide Closing an In Ground Pool. There's also lots of user feedback in this thread that's also valuable http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2706-Closing-an-in-ground-pool

- - - Updated - - -

Also... adding your pool details to your signature and your location to your profile would be very helpful.

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly JV Train!

I did happen to read through the Closing guide and there was no mention of winter chemical kits/chemical maintenance through the winter which is what lead me to posting. Also I had reviewed the other thread you linked to as well and it seems to veer off topic which you often see happen in threads which again leads me to posting my usually specific questions to hopefully get specific answers from the experts like yourself:)

I dont follow the TFP methods and this is also a salt water pool, so if its possible for you to just clarify what chemicals are needed at closing and chemical maintenance (if any) is needed over the winter id appreciate it. Currently, I assume and have done the following:
1) Balanced Ph, CH, Chlorine, TA and CYA (Ive been told these levels dont change much if any through the winter so I assume nothing more is needed)
2) Shocked the pool overnight

You don't need any chemicals, besides the normal ones. Balance the pool, raise to shock FC level for at least a day (or complete the SLAM process if needed). Close it down.

Polyquat algaecides are optional.

The key is closing after the water is below 60 degrees and opening before it raises above 60 degrees.

You don't need any chemicals, besides the normal ones. Balance the pool, raise to shock FC level for at least a day (or complete the SLAM process if needed). Close it down.

Polyquat algaecides are optional.

The key is closing after the water is below 60 degrees and opening before it raises above 60 degrees.

This is the gospel. I close in November and open in March to a crystal clear pool. I add nothing to it, simply blow the lines, plug and done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.