Testing Frequency and Cl levels

Mar 21, 2008
Florida
Forgot to ask this in my other post:

How often should one test and is there such a time when you "learn" your pool's chemistry needs and are able to reliable add xx oz. of Cl, etc. on a daily or semi daily basis?

If the pool is clear and pH is on target is it ok to allow Cl to fall to 1 before bringing it back up to 3-4?
Or does the Cl need to be consistently kept at 3 or more?

Thanks

The chlorine always needs to stay at least 7.5% of your CYA level. If you let it drop, algae can get started, and even if you raise it back to normal levels, it won't kill the algae. As the algae grows, chlorine is consumed fighting it, dropping the chlorine again, so the algae really takes off. Bad thing!

Test daily. Eventually you will probably know what it needs, but chlorine use varies quite a bit with swimmer load, sun and other factors, so it's best to just test it.

See the CYA chart. Never let it go below the "minimum" for your CYA, when you dose, go for the "target" level, and add enough each evening or morning to prevent it from going below the Minimum. It took me about to my 1 year anniversary of BBB for me to "know" my pool.....(deduct 6 months for winter) so about 6 months or so?

oh......
i guess then i should shock it tom. I havent seen any algae, but u never know. I think that i have about 110 oz of 6%, that should raise it to about 14 (Cl). I can dump it in tom. and pick up some pool strength on the way home. Is the pool strength Cl something to be stored outdoors, the caps from the pool store are vented and i dont want that stuff corroding the inside of my garage?

Thanks. :)

newfool said:
oh......
i guess then i should shock it tom. I havent seen any algae, but u never know. I think that i have about 110 oz of 6%, that should raise it to about 14 (Cl). I can dump it in tom. and pick up some pool strength on the way home. Is the pool strength Cl something to be stored outdoors, the caps from the pool store are vented and i dont want that stuff corroding the inside of my garage?

Thanks. :)

Its better to store it in a dark temp controlled area, I wouldn't recommend outdoors or a hot shed. The % strength deteriorates over time, quicker if stored in unideal conditions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.