Question on lower water level for closing

Jun 19, 2014
VT
Split by moderator from the sticky. Please ask your questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle.

I read the closing an in ground pool post and it has me pointed in the right direction. We get very cold temps lots of snow and ice here in Northern Vermont. I drained the water to below the skimmer last year and did not have any issues (I might have been lucky). The suggestion to drain 4" below the returns has me very hesitant to do so as I don't want to ruin the vinyl liner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Im in the northeast as well (CT, not as cold as you but still cold)

I usually go 1 or 2 inches below the mouth of the skimmer....my take is that the pool is gonna fill up again anyway, unless I go out there after each storm melt off to pump it down (not gonna happen)

I also have a mesh safety cover which requires you to have water level no lower than 18" below the surface the cover is attached to, so keep that in mind if you have a safety cover too.

Ive never had a problem with an inch or two below the skimmer.

We generally say that if you leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end, then the liner should stay in place ... at least that is our recommendation when doing a drain and fill so it is short term. Leaving the water that low over the entire winter may carry more risk.

We generally say that if you leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end, then the liner should stay in place ... at least that is our recommendation when doing a drain and fill so it is short term. Leaving the water that low over the entire winter may carry more risk.

What about for a gunite/plaster IGP? Should I drain that low?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.