How to prepare plug threads when closing

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I have been using teflon tape on my plug threads when closing the pool in past years. I don't always get a great plug as at least one of the returns I can see tiny air bubbles with the blower still on. This has never caused a problem with my lines, however it still make me uncomfortable.

This year, I was talking about it to a plumber and he suggested trying the Blue sealers on the plug threads for a better air-tight seal. He even said that prolonged use of teflon can damage the threads of plastic threads and that could have been what was causing the tiny air bubbles in the past.

So I figured before i try it this year, I'd ask the forum for opinions and/or experiences using PVC blue thread sealer on plugs when closing the pool.

Getting the expansion plugs to seal perfectly has always been a pain for me too. And in the northeast its a "big deal" because I worry about freezing as well.

Make sure you are using the right size plug...I think 1.5" plumbing should use a #10. For the heck of it, have different sizes (and shapes!) on hand. I have a couple longer cone-looking plugs that seem to work better than the normal short and stubby ones.

For my returns, where I am able to feed low pressure compressed air, Ive switched to "The Gigit" which is basically an eyeball fitting with a one-way valve....compressed air will open the valve, force the remaining water in the lines out and then once the air source is removed the valve shuts and water cant get back in. They seem to work well, and keep me dry while closing the pool. On the suction side where I cant send compressed air through (easily, anyway) Im about to try the "Winter Duck Plug" which looks like a duck bill.

I look forward to a closing where I dont end up changing my clothes twice from getting soaked while trying to plug the lines with the line blower going.

You could get good plugs that have o-rings with them, they always worked for me. And if you put antifreeze in the lines, it's insurance against any water that is left or finds its way into the pipe.

That's what I use. The threaded plugs with o-rings. Only I have been putting teflon tape on the threads and I still get tiny air bubbles when blowing out the lines. . My plumber friend suggested not to use teflon but rather the blue PVC thread sealant as the teflon could eventually damage the threads by spreading them apart.

Looking to see if anyone uses the blue sealant on their threaded plugs.

I would worry the blue sealant would leave a residue when you opened in the spring. Do you lube your o rings when taking them out or putting them in? I find a get a perfect seal and have no air whatsoever leaking out once closed. It could be the Teflon that is causing your problems, the o ring might not be seating itself properly?

Just to be sure, you are talking about a temporary thread sealant right? Not the blue pvc cement used to join pieces of pvc together permanantly?

Just want to confirm because I'm not familiar with any blue pvc thread sealant besides the pvc cement that comes in the little can with the brush attached to the lid. That stuff i believe is more of a permanant sealant and I think you would have a heck of a time getting the plugs out in the spring, possibly damaging your returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.