Liquid Sodium Bromide

nofa93

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Hello,

I'm looking to establish my first bromide reserve in my hot tub. I was not able to locate any granular form of it locally. The only thing i was able to find is in liquid at a concentration of 35% of Sodium Bromide. Instructions say to add 125ml(4oz) per 1000Liters(264gal). Does this sound about right? Anybody have experience with the liquid stuff?

Thanks

Actually no. I visited 3 different pools stores and only one knew what I was talking about. I also tried Wal-Mart but at this time of year they already packed up all the pool/spa products to make place for Halloween costumes. The only other thing I found(as mentioned in the post you referenced) was a mixture of dichlor and sodium bromide so I decided to go with the liquid stuff. Thanks for the clarification chem geek. By the way, is there such a thing as too much sodium bromide...? In case I overshoot.

There's no real overdosing of bromide. You need enough to be able to make bromine, but any extra just remains as bromide salt. The only issue would be if you are using MPS to try and oxidize bather waste before creating more bromine, then a higher bromide bank will tend to have the MPS react with it more rather than with bather waste. Usually though, you are using chlorine and perhaps ozone (if you have an ozonator) and these react fairly quickly with the bromide to make bromine.

Thanks a lot Chem Geek again for the clarification. Indeed I am planing on using sodium hypochlorite so it shouldn't be an issue. The tub came equipped with an ozonator but since it is a 2006 I am not sure in what state it stands so I won't be relying on it.

To add to this old thread,

I'm in Canada also and finding Sodium Bromide is very difficult. I went to a local spa shop and when I asked for it the guy says, "Yes, we have Bromine." Never mind...

All of the amazon prices go through the roof to send to Canada. I'd have to say the pool chem market appears to be a bit of a racket, IMO.

But I found this morning that Canadian Tire sells it as Spa Aquarius Bromine System Part 1. Same 35%. I hope they keep it on the shelves in the winter.
Product link

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.