Pump Reccomendations

PeteMorris

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Myrtle Beach, SC
I'm currently using a 3/4 HP Century Centruion pump, and I'm not having any problems with it.

As I read about pumps, I see that I can probably realize a substantial savings in my electric bill over the course of a year by switching to a two speed pump.

Should I consider changing my pump now, as opposed to letting her pump until she breaks?
I believe that a variable speed pump is over-kill in my situation, and that I should limit my search to a two speed, am I missing something?
Is there any value to upgrading to a 1HP pump? My current 3/4 HP is meeting all of the flow needs, and there is good pressure at the return jets.
Any particular brands that I should look closely at? Or stay away from?

Thanks.

It is a little hard to recommend replacing a perfectly good pump. The cheapest option would be to look at just replacing your existing motor with a 2-speed version. You will have to make sure the voltage requirements match or that you can rewire it. Going that route avoids having to do any plumbing and you could then have your existing motor as a back-up.

Hello,
What Jason said is what I ended up doing. I went with a 3/4 115V 2-speed motor. 95% of the time I'm running in low, the only time I run in high is to check filter pressure, and prime, but it does prime in low. I ordered a remanufactured motor and had a local pinch-a-penny mount it with a new shaft seal. I ordered a toggle switch to go from hi/low speeds. I use a T101 timer that I had to turn it on/off.
Here's my install story: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/59063-Purchased-a-SQL1072-3-4-HP-2-Speed-115V?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.