Help with fitting for Pentair booster pump

Sandra B

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Hi all. I have a slow drip in the fitting on the pressure side (top connection) of my Pentair booster pump, 3/4 HP. The PVC exiting the pump is 1-1/2 inch, connected to the pump via a black adapter piece that screws into the top of the pump. The Pentair booster manual says the hole where the adapter goes is 3/4 inch. I have looked all over the internet for a Schedule 40 PVC adapter with male of 3/4 and "slip" of 1-1/2, and can't find one. Admittedly I'm not familiar with what I'm looking for, but I'm a pretty good googler.

My boyfriend who is handy (but not nearby) examined my emailed photo and declared that it CAN'T be black, it should be white, and it looks like it should be bigger than 3/4 inch. OK, but it's black and the manual says the outlet is 3/4". He suggests I go ahead and saw the 1-1/2 inch PVC, unscrew the adapter from the pump, and take it all to a plumbing warehouse and ask them to replicate it for me. The problem is, I don't want to saw the PVC off if I don't know if I can get the part to fix it locally, can't find it on the internet, and just have the pump inoperable. (I can block it off from the rest of the system, that's not a problem, I just like my vacuum to run and keep the leaves at bay).

So my question: does Schedule 40, 3/4 inch male to 1-1/2 inch slip adapter exist, and I just need to cut this thing off and take it somewhere? Do you have a Pentair booster and is the outlet indeed 3/4"? Should I instead make friends with a plumber and not learn to glue PVC together? I take care of all my equipment myself, and this does not seem like an insurmountable task, but I've never actually glued PVC, to my knowledge. I already tried JB Plasticweld and that didn't stop the drip. Thanks for any assistance!

Sandra

Typically, the Pentair booster pump is installed with the Pentair Booster Pump Hose Kit with 4 Fittings. Part number 353020.

The fittings are all 3/4" male pipe thread on one side and hose adaptor on the other side. One fitting screws into the pump suction and one screws into the discharge.

There should be a 1.5-inch "T" in the pool return line that has a 1.5-inch slip by 3/4-inch female pipe thread reducer. One fitting gets threaded into the 3/4-inch female threads and the suction hose connects there.

The pressure side of the booster pump goes to a dedicated cleaner line. That line usually has a 1.5-inch coupling with a 1.5-inch slip by 3/4-inch female pipe thread reducer. One fitting gets threaded into the 3/4-inch female threads and the pressure hose connects there.

Thanks James, I have a follow up if you don't mind. My booster does not have the hoses connected--it's piped directly to the PVC. It looks like the adapters that come with the Hose Kit connect the 3/4" outlet to a hose, but I need to connect directly to a 1-1/2 PVC...is there an adapter for that? A 3/4" male x 1-1/2" PVC slip?

I don't know of a 1-1/2 Female PVC slip to 3/4 male threaded connection.

What does exist is a 1-1/2 male PVC slip to 3/4 female threaded connection
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4880k208

You could add an 1-1/2 coupler and a 3/4 nipple and get pretty close to what you've described.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4880k75
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4882k14

Probably don't want to order from McMaster, but print out the drawings and take them to any decent hardware or plumbing store and they should be able to help you.

-Denny

Hello Sandra B,

Here is a shopping list from Lowes to adapt from a 1 1/2" pipe to 3/4" MIP (Male Iron Pipe).
You will have to add PVC glue and primer to this list.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_22692-1815-...s_dollar|1&page=1&facetInfo=1-1/2-in x 3/4-in - 1 1/2" Female Slip X 3/4 Female slip - Item #: 22692

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23856-1815-...p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=3/4-in - 3/4 female slip X 3/4 MIP - Item #: 23856

http://www.lowes.com/pd_351144-1814..._product_qty_sales_dollar|1&page=2&facetInfo= - 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe, 2 ft long - Item #: 351144

You will have to cut the PVC pipe about 2" long.
It is a very simple fix, so when you get the items, someone can walk you through primering and gluing PVC together or watch a youtube video of it.

Yay! you all are so helpful...thank you very much! I'm going to tackle the repair this weekend so I'm sure I'll be back. I'll also check out youtube and probably get a couple extra parts so I can practice in private :) .

Thanks!

Sandra

I think you will also need to add a 3/4 inch slip to threaded male adapter to that list, again common item at lowes or home depot (I think lowes tends to have a better selection of this stuff at most stores). Never mind I missed one line on the above shopping list it is already there.

One other thing when it comes to cutting PVC pipe a hack saw is probably the cheapest tool option, those compound action cutters are nice, but they cost about 5 times the price of a cheap hack saw, and you are only going to need to make a couple of cuts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yay me! Thank you everyone for your help! I used the links and shopping lists to gather what I needed, youtubed, put on my low-slung plumbers pants, measured twice, made my cuts, dry-fitted, then glued it all together! Not the most beautiful, but very proud! I was worried because when dry-fitting those fittings are so hard to insert, and even harder to pull apart. I was afraid I would not get the pipes seated all the way. But the primer and glue worked miracles, and I did the little twist when I put them together and everything slid into place. I think I'm ready to replace my crappy sight glass now, since I'm such a pro. Thanks again!

pipes.jpg

Sandra

Oh, edited to add I haven't run water through it yet, I'm letting it sit overnight. So the real test is tomorrow...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.