Too much cholrine, safe to swim?

Aug 12, 2008
I had a reoccuring algea problem two weeks ago and the shocks from the pool store has been useless. I poured 15 gallon of 6% bleach into my 14K pool. Now all the algea seems to be dad.
I took a water test, it was about 15ppm as of now. Is this too high for swimming? It's been at this level for about 2 weeks. The weather is perfect and I really want to jump in. How long will it go down to a reasonable level. I have a solar cover on. Should I remove it to help the sun to bring the cholrine level down?

Take the cover off. Keeping it on wont let the sun get to the water to burn off some chlorine. Your FC will start to drop. Once it gets below 10ppm you could go swimming ..... if you wish. Others will debate this ! :)

Housekeeping note ... if you could put your type of pool , equipment etc in your signature it will assist us in helping you when you post questions here.

Welcome to TFP btw! :wave:

Hi dandan74,

As TIZ said, there are a number of opinions on safe swimming FC levels and therefore not a clear cut answer.

IMHO, I feel that anything below shock level for your CYA is alright; but, other people set their line higher or lower than that.

Wearing an older swimsuit and showering after would seem like a reasonable idea. :lol:

Also suggest you add your pool & equipment information to your signature. Just go to User Control Panel (top left under TFP Logo) and select "Profile" and then "Edit Signature".

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Sure. I will check what equipment is being used. I bought the house two years ago but still a bittle struggle on maintaining the pool. I went to the pool store yestersday and tried to get a CYA tested. But the pool staff said the chroline level is too high and everything is bleached out. They cannot test CYA. Is this true?

I agree with the prior posts but will add that most solar covers would advertise against leaving the cover on as it will ruin the cover and void the warranty. I would also like to stress, (and as previously posted), leaving the cover on will slow down the chlorine consumption as well.

dandan74 said:
I had a reoccuring algea problem two weeks ago and the shocks from the pool store has been useless. I poured 15 gallon of 6% bleach into my 14K pool. Now all the algea seems to be dad.
I took a water test, it was about 15ppm as of now. Is this too high for swimming? It's been at this level for about 2 weeks. The weather is perfect and I really want to jump in. How long will it go down to a reasonable level. I have a solar cover on. Should I remove it to help the sun to bring the cholrine level down?

Shock to 65 ppm...... that's my kind of shock. :goodjob:

Next time you could go lower in ppm at shock level but keep that level longer. I say that so I don't get flamed. My Spring shock goes that high.

Like the other posters said; safe level for swimming is an opinion. It would be good to know what your CYA is.

Anyhow, in my opinion, take the cover off and let the sun do its work. When the chlorine gets down to 10ppm, I would say that's OK to go in. You might want to take a shower when you get out.

I would suggest that sometime in the future you get a good test kit so you know exactly what your reading are when you want to know. Just don't let your pool-owning neighbor know you have it.

dandan74 said:
Sure. I will check what equipment is being used. I bought the house two years ago but still a bittle struggle on maintaining the pool. I went to the pool store yestersday and tried to get a CYA tested. But the pool staff said the chroline level is too high and everything is bleached out. They cannot test CYA. Is this true?

No, not true for CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.