Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much cholrine, safe to swim?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much cholrine, safe to swim?

I had a reoccuring algea problem two weeks ago and the shocks from the pool store has been useless. I poured 15 gallon of 6% bleach into my 14K pool. Now all the algea seems to be dad.
    I took a water test, it was about 15ppm as of now. Is this too high for swimming? It's been at this level for about 2 weeks. The weather is perfect and I really want to jump in. How long will it go down to a reasonable level. I have a solar cover on. Should I remove it to help the sun to bring the cholrine level down?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much cholrine, safe to swim?

Take the cover off. Keeping it on wont let the sun get to the water to burn off some chlorine. Your FC will start to drop. Once it gets below 10ppm you could go swimming ..... if you wish. Others will debate this !

Housekeeping note ... if you could put your type of pool , equipment etc in your signature it will assist us in helping you when you post questions here.

Welcome to TFP btw!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi dandan74,

As TIZ said, there are a number of opinions on safe swimming FC levels and therefore not a clear cut answer.

IMHO, I feel that anything below shock level for your CYA is alright; but, other people set their line higher or lower than that.

Wearing an older swimsuit and showering after would seem like a reasonable idea.

Also suggest you add your pool & equipment information to your signature. Just go to User Control Panel (top left under TFP Logo) and select "Profile" and then "Edit Signature".

Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree, unless you know your CYA level it's hard to determine what "safe" is....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure. I will check what equipment is being used. I bought the house two years ago but still a bittle struggle on maintaining the pool. I went to the pool store yestersday and tried to get a CYA tested. But the pool staff said the chroline level is too high and everything is bleached out. They cannot test CYA. Is this true?

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with the prior posts but will add that most solar covers would advertise against leaving the cover on as it will ruin the cover and void the warranty. I would also like to stress, (and as previously posted), leaving the cover on will slow down the chlorine consumption as well.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by dandan74
    I had a reoccuring algea problem two weeks ago and the shocks from the pool store has been useless. I poured 15 gallon of 6% bleach into my 14K pool. Now all the algea seems to be dad.
    I took a water test, it was about 15ppm as of now. Is this too high for swimming? It's been at this level for about 2 weeks. The weather is perfect and I really want to jump in. How long will it go down to a reasonable level. I have a solar cover on. Should I remove it to help the sun to bring the cholrine level down?

Shock to 65 ppm...... that's my kind of shock.

Next time you could go lower in ppm at shock level but keep that level longer. I say that so I don't get flamed. My Spring shock goes that high.

Like the other posters said; safe level for swimming is an opinion. It would be good to know what your CYA is.

Anyhow, in my opinion, take the cover off and let the sun do its work. When the chlorine gets down to 10ppm, I would say that's OK to go in. You might want to take a shower when you get out.

I would suggest that sometime in the future you get a good test kit so you know exactly what your reading are when you want to know. Just don't let your pool-owning neighbor know you have it.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dandan74
    Sure. I will check what equipment is being used. I bought the house two years ago but still a bittle struggle on maintaining the pool. I went to the pool store yestersday and tried to get a CYA tested. But the pool staff said the chroline level is too high and everything is bleached out. They cannot test CYA. Is this true?
    No, not true for CYA.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com