Broken return jet face plate.

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
I have 2 of what it appears to be Hayward Return Inlet Faceplates (SPX1411B?) broken in my pool. Here is one of them (ignore the pink - it's antifreeze):

It doesn't seem to cause any problem, but I would like to replace it. From this diagram (different type, but I assume it's similar):

it seems that it's affixed by 4 screws and no bolts and there is no danger of losing a nut or something. That was one of my concerns - I was afraid that once I unscrew them I won't be able to put it back together. Doesn't seem to be the case, but I just want to confirm to be sure.

Another question I have is this - can I replace it under water? I can see that it pinches/pushes the liner against the return assembly and when unscrewed it might/will leak water in. Will this be a problem? Will I be better off waiting for pool closure next fall and do it then?

Thanks!

Bdex,

Thanks for your response. I assume when you say gasket you meant this black rubber gasket pictured:

L4070.jpg

Does it go between the face plate and the liner? Seems like it would go behind the liner and I'm not sure that I want to peel that off much. Especially if I decide to do it under water :)

It also seems that it's cheaper to buy the whole assembly instead of buying gasket and the face plate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.