Backfilling around new pool

Sep 16, 2014
syracuse ny
I had an above ground pool installed Memorial Day weekend. I did not backfill right away as I was going to have the contractors who were going to be building my deck do it for me. Within three weeks I was having problems with a hole in my liner so my deck and backfill was put on hold. The company that I purchased the pool from set up appointments with me to inspect the hole in the liner but failed to show up for six weeks after my initial contact. In that six-week period more damage occurred to my pool with the supports starting to bend in at the bottom and coming detached from the pool wall, my skimmer starting to rust and supports protruding through the bottom of the pool on the inside (which those were protruding from the very first day of installation. The pool company is blaming me for all the damage to the pool because of my not backfilling as soon as the pool was installed. I was waiting for inspection from their technicians before I did anything else. Could a pool really sustain such a huge amount of damage in that little of a time frame? It seems like it would take longer than three weeks to start seeing damage from lack of backfill.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think pictures may help us visualize what you are describing.

Being and AG pool, I thought there were designed to be free-standing with no back-fill normally. So I can not see why not back-filling would be a problem. Some people never back-fill and instead build retaining walls around the pool.

Sounds to me like a shoddy build, if they don't level to within 1" and fail to do the bottom ring right then the walls will actually "sit" on the low side. Crinkles result and yes, the pool will collapse. Insurance probably won't cover poor build, your only recourse might be to pursue legal actions?

Yes if you could post some pics that'll help to see how this can be taken care of. Anything more than an inch out of level is a problem that needs to be corrected. I would stay on the installer to make this right. Did they give you any reasons why this is your fault ?
Also if you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you. ?

In that six-week period more damage occurred to my pool with the supports starting to bend in at the bottom and coming detached from the pool wall, my skimmer starting to rust and supports protruding through the bottom of the pool on the inside (which those were protruding from the very first day of installation.

Jason is totally right that they are supposed to be free standing, thats why they are above ground pools.

My thoughts are that if the skimmer is rusting, it would have rusted worse being in the damp soil. Sounds like they wanted you to backfill so they could blame the completely inferior products on backfilling. I would start making repeated phone calls to them and if that does not generate a response, a phone call from an attorney might make them change their tune. You don't necessarily have to have the attorney do much but make a phone call. how far to pursue it after that is up to you.

Thanks everyone. I have made repeated attempts to get this taken care of. I can't even begin to tell the complete story. It would take too long. I have some pics I'm going to attach. The issues shown in the pictures were there within a month and a half of installation. Their response to my complaint with the BBB is that they will fix it for $225 and that is with a discount of $50 for "customer inconvenience". Also, just about every support protrudes on the inside of the pool. There is a lump at almost every support which is compromising the integrity of the liner. They refuse to listen to me.

Attachments

• support caving.jpg
    support caving.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 396
  • Support pulling away.jpg
    Support pulling away.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 382
  • Not centered on cement.jpg
    Not centered on cement.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 377
  • Falling off brick.jpg
    Falling off brick.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 378
  • Rust.jpg
    Rust.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 376
That's terrible! I'd make a complaint to the BBB about them. This is all their fault.

I did file with the BBB. Their response was that they would fix it for $225 because it was my fault for not backfilling. It's been a nightmare. I am taking other action against them and we'll see what happens. Thanks for all your replies!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at your first pic, the pool is NOT level. I can see this by,using the fence as a guide. I would assume that if you did back fill, they would blame your issues on t g e fact that you did indeed back fill. I would send them a letter from your newly appointed attorney and let them know that they will fix it for free or they can pay for a professional to fix it and replace the liner. Spend the $225 wisely and retain an attorney.

Wow, I knew it wasn't level, but I never noticed that in the picture because I was more focusing on the slating support. It's been an uphill battle with this company, but I'm not giving up. I'm waiting for the response from the BBB and then go from there. I'm running out of time and the pool needs to be winterized. My feeling is they know this and they're using it against me.

Just an update. The pool company refuses to fix my pool at no charge. They will do it for $225. I have to have them do it because to hire someone else will be over $1000, and that's without replacing the leaking liner. I would love any tips on things I can watch for as I oversee their repairs. I want to be able to question everything they do and actually know what I'm talking about. I depended on experts to do their job, but in doing that, I am left with a dilapidated pool. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Has the company itemized what the 'fix' will consist of? Exactly what do they propose to do? Is the pool supposed to be emptied first?

I sympathize with your situation -- it's got to be stressful to have people you don't trust (for good reason) coming out to work on your pool... and charging you additional money to boot.

No, they haven't. They just set the date yesterday. I'm going to make sure I have an itemized list before they begin any work. And yes, the pool has to be emptied. The supports weren't even buried in the sand underneath and the come through the inside stretching the liner. I have some good experienced pool people on my side now so my hope is they will do what's right and fix it the right way. Thanks!

Just an update. They did come out and reset the pool. And as expected, it was poorly done. They also caused more damage to the pool and now the pool wall is bent. They said they will fix it again in the spring. I told them this was unacceptable, why would I want them to reset a damaged pool. The person I hired to close the pool for the winter told me he hopes it doesn't collapse over the winter. It's just never ending with this company. It looks like I am going to have to sue them.

Looking at your first pic, the pool is NOT level.....

Wow, I knew it wasn't level, but I never noticed that in the picture because I was more focusing on the slating support. .....

I have no doubt there may have been some poor workmanship here, but you can't determine levelness from a photo taken from just any position.

I just took a photo of the top of a door and a door frame and they aren't aligned in my photo. I can assure you they're in perfect alignment when viewed from the proper angle.

IMG_1259.jpg
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif
ZoomButt.gif

So either her fence panel is not level, OR the pool is not level!

I'm going to say the pool is NOT level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.