Just converted to TFP and have some questions

edibower

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Phoenix,AZ
I just converted to TFP from the pool store........I just received my TF-100 tester kit and tested the water and got the following readings.....

FC- 17.5
CC- 0
PH 7.6
Total alk 160
CH 675
CYA 100+

Wondering what advice you can give on what should be added to the water.........the pool is currently fairly clear
Thanks in advance for your help and for that matter this website.......

Welcome to TFP!

First order of business is dealing with the high CYA. Look at the extended test instructions sticky in the testing forum and do the diluted test method to see how high it really is.

Then you have to start replacing water. This will also likely help lower your CH which is getting high as well.

Also add your location to your profile and verify your signature is correct.

Greetings Edibower,
Glad you joined us and welcome to TFP.

Actually, its not what could be added to the water but what needs to be taken out of the water. What needs to be removed is some CYA. Unfortunately, to remove CYA you will have to drain some water.
How much is another issue. What you will need to do to give us an accurate CYA reading is mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water. This mixture is now your sample water. Test for CYA. Multiply reading by 2 to get accurate CYA reading. Please post the results back here so we can further assist you.

Please update your location (City, State; City, Country) so we can give you tailored advice specific to your location.

I updated my signature, location is Phoenix, AZ USA......did the extended CYA test and before I multiply by 2 the reading is right above the CYA mark on the test tube so I am guessing around 130 before multiplying.....I also noticed in the extended test notes first time testers have a tendency to test high

Are you saying that the water level was still just below the 100 line? What kind of lighting did you do the test in? Should be done outside in bright indirect light.

In any case, the CYA is certainly over 200ppm which means you need to replace 75% of the water to get back in range.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

We have been using the chlorine tabs.........we are suppose to get alot of rain during the next 3 days.......dont know how this will effect the CYA or other readings.........I will do the the test outside in the bright sunlight today and see how it looks, yesterdays readings were done inside with bright lights but maybe outside will make a difference.......will report back shortly with the reading I get and thanks again

Just tested it again outside using the regular method which showed about the middle of the CYA mark on the toob, and the extended method showed between the 100 mark and CYA which has to be X2.........so as you indicated I guess we need to replace 75% of the water in the pool. If this is the case what would be the best way to do this? using the backwash or getting someone to drain the pool since 75% is pretty much the whole pool.

If you can isolate the floor drain and can pump to waste (not backwash), then your pool pump may be able to drain off the water. Usually easier to rent a submersible pump from Home Depot or similar or buy a small pump from Harbor Freight.

Now is a great time to do it due to the clouds and rains so your pebble will not be exposed to the harsh sun.

Boy wish I felt more confident about doing this (draining the pool) but am going to give this a try, by the way I assume its the chlorine tabs causing this problem........is there a video on how to drain the pool for a little visual guidance....?

Yes the tablets add FC and CYA and the CYA builds up.

Being in PHX, you do not likely have to worry about a high ground water table. The sun/heat exposure of the plaster is the biggest concern and this weather helps that.

It would be a pretty boring video. Hook up hose. Put in submersible pump. Plug in pump. 4-6 hours later unplug pump. Turn on the garden hoses.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One last comment so you can help other people...........how detrimental would it be to wait until after these rains we are suppose to get.......say till the weekend, understanding that the rains help keep the pebble moist etc. I would assume I can do that with a hose while its pumping the water out......I dont know if I will have the time to do it until then.........once again thanks for the help and input, yes eventually the confidence level will build up.......

- - - Updated - - -

One last comment to jbizzle's comment that yes I was worried about the water table since we are suppose to get alot of rain.......if thats not a concern even with alot of rain that makes me feel better

Well, I am not going to say 100% that even with the rain you will not run into ground water issues. I would guess you will not, but I am not a geologist ;)

You can wait til the weekend if you want. What I did was rented from HD around 6PM and then the 4 hour rental just means you have to have it back by 9AM. I then pumped out from like 7-11PM or something like that and then started filling from 3 hoses. That way you lower the exposure to the sun.

If ground water was a concern (not in your case I don't think though), you could do multiple smaller water replacements (this uses more water) or you could pump from near the top of the pool and at the same time fill at the bottom of the pool (again requires more water).

I only had to drain a foot of water from my pool earlier this year. I was able to drain it running my pump to waste in little more than an hour. I estimated how long it would take by measuring how long it took to drain an inch of water, then multiplying the minutes by the number of inches I wanted to remove.

I have had to fill my pool completely a couple times now. I find that since I have two outside faucets, one near the water meter, and one at the end of the line by the pool, I can fill the pool 50% faster using the faucet by water meter and a 3/4 inch hose. (this also works well for washing the car) Using both faucets increases flow somewhat, but virtually renders the inside faucets useless during the refill.

I take no responsibility but I would say you have nothing to worry about as far as the water table is concerned. I'd only worry about sun exposure when the pool is empty. I wouldn't worry about the rain either. Drain late in the day and refill over night. Cover with a tarp or pool cover if it's going to be longer than that.

Since you're draining a large amount of water from your pool and likely leaving your pool walls completely exposed, make sure to get the water run off as far from the pool as possible. With your recent rains and the added pool drainage water, your ground is going to be saturated and you don't don't want that ground water putting pressure on your pool walls and potentially leaking through. Though unlikely, in a worse case scenario, you could damage your walls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.