Baker Hydro Issues?

Sep 15, 2014
Orlando, FL
Hello, I just purchased a home with a pool. Specs I can remember off the top of my head are in my signature. It was neglected slightly for the past couple months so I am in the learning/cleaning process. I have a taylor k-2006 on order.

I was told by the home inspector I used that it was an older design pool, and the pump and filter housing were probably all original (1989). He mentioned it was a baker hydro(maybe?) design. I was trying to brush some of the dirt to the main drain and it didn't seem to suck anything in. If I run a hose from the pump line to the main drain line I can see it sucking dirt in. It seems like the main drain just has a pipe running up to the bottom of the pool skimmer basket area, and the pump pulls from another line in the skimmer basket. Is it typical for this design to not have much suction on the main drain?

Also, there are no valves of any kind on any of the pump equipment except a drain on the filter housing. Are there any missing valves that I should plumb back in?

Welcome to TFP!

Your drain configuration is fairly typical. Drains are designed not to have a lot of concentrated suction, so you usually won't see or feel much.

There is really little need for valves because your drain and skimmer are plumbed together.

You probably need a diverter like this in your skimmer. It balances the suction between the skimmer & the main drain. MD won't suck without it.
--------------TOP--------------------------BOTTOM
Skimmer Equalizer.jpg
Search for skimmer diverter for more examples. There's even a youtube video about it.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.