Blowing the lines....

Feb 8, 2008
Milford, CT
For the past couple seasons Ive been using The Gigit winterizing valve (basically a one way valve that screws into the jet ports of the pool, you use low pressure compressed air to blow through the lines and then the valve shuts)

This works fine on the return side where I built a manifold to feed the compressed air through. However, my pump uses quick connect plumbing on the suction side, so I don't have an easy way to interface compressed air directly with the quick connect.

My question is - can I put a barb fitting on one of the pump drain plugs and blow compressed air through that? I would put the multiport valve into Closed position so the compressed air going through the drain plug port *should* feed back thru the suction line right to the pool. Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

-Chris

I can't quite picture your set-up. I just blow air from a compressor through the top of the filter tank, which then sends the air pressure through both the return lines and the skimmer /drain lines. Blow 'em out till there are lots of bubbles coming up in the water, plug 'em and done. Then as an extra precaution I add a gallon of antifreeze to each line.

I can't quite picture your set-up. I just blow air from a compressor through the top of the filter tank, which then sends the air pressure through both the return lines and the skimmer /drain lines. Blow 'em out till there are lots of bubbles coming up in the water, plug 'em and done. Then as an extra precaution I add a gallon of antifreeze to each line.

Yeah after typing it I realized it might be about as clear as mud :)

So....I have 2 separate 1.5" suction lines from the pool. Just before the pump they come into 2 ports of a 3 port Jandy valve. The remaining port is connected to the male portion of a Hayward quick connect (that came with my Northstar pump), seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SPX4000UNPAK1-Connector-Replacement-Northstar/dp/B004VTGIIE

I dont know of any way I can "interface" with that quick connect, other than the pump itself (since the pump has the correct female coupling molded into the case). So I was wondering if I could leave the pump attached, close the multiport, then send compressed air through the drain plug via a barbed fitting screwed in place of the drain plug. Would it leak out somewhere past the pump (i.e. the multiport) or would the air make it back thru the suction inlet valve and then back onto the pool.

The reason I need compressed air is to get the Giget valve to open....Ive tried with a real pool line blower but it didnt generate enough pressure (as it shouldnt, its HVLP after all). I dont HAVE to use the Gigit, Ive been using the pool blower for years now, its just that it would be nice to not end up completely soaking wet for a change

Thanks.

-Chris

I just use a 1/4 air fitting. Unscrew the drain plug on my pump, screw in the fitting, attach air hose, turn on compressor.
As the lines fill with air it will push out the water. 1st skimmer bubbles, plug it. Second skimmer bubbles plug it.
Next the returns will bubble plug those when each one bubbles. Next and last will be the drain when it bubbles turn valve on skimmer / drain pipes too off on the drain side and turn off the compressor. You have an airlock now.
Remove pump and plug that pipe with rubber plug with thumb nut.

I just use a 1/4 air fitting. Unscrew the drain plug on my pump, screw in the fitting, attach air hose, turn on compressor.
As the lines fill with air it will push out the water. 1st skimmer bubbles, plug it. Second skimmer bubbles plug it.
Next the returns will bubble plug those when each one bubbles. Next and last will be the drain when it bubbles turn valve on skimmer / drain pipes too off on the drain side and turn off the compressor. You have an airlock now.
Remove pump and plug that pipe with rubber plug with thumb nut.

Good idea on the fitting at the pump drain. I may try it this year. What psi do you have your compressor set at when you blow the lines out? Do you drop it down from the normal 90-100 psi setting?

From what I've read you don't want it set above about 20 psi. Pvc is usually rated up to about 100psi in pool size schedule 40 pipe. Pumps and filters aren't rated that high. You don't want the pressure too high. If it takes you too long to shut it off after the last line is plugged, something, most likely the filter I suspect, could be damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea on the fitting at the pump drain. I may try it this year. What psi do you have your compressor set at when you blow the lines out? Do you drop it down from the normal 90-100 psi setting?

I don't build up any presure, as the compressor motor runs it pushes air into the system, when the compresor hose is connected to the 1/4 fitting it's engaged and pumping air.

If you hunt around on utube, there pool guys that show how it's done. I just use a little pancake 6 gal compressor and it works great.

My pool pvc has unions ... I take my pump and filter inside each year. After I disconnect everything I use a Cyclone Liner Vac to blow out the lines. Low pressure but LOTS of air volume! I used to use a rented air compressor, but nothing blows out pool lines like the Cyclone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool pvc has unions ... I take my pump and filter inside each year. After I disconnect everything I use a Cyclone Liner Vac to blow out the lines. Low pressure but LOTS of air volume! I used to use a rented air compressor, but nothing blows out pool lines like the Cyclone!

Do you use the expandable rubber plugs to plug the open unions after you take the pump inside? I've been pondering whether to take mine inside or not.

I use expandable rubber plugs, but just in the union holes pretty loose. The floor drain is shut off by the Jandy Valve, and the skimmers have expandable plugs in them (along with a Gizmo for water expansion that gets into the skimmer). Same with the floor returns ... the Jandy Valve has them shut off, and the wall returns have expandable plugs in them. The plugs in the unions are mainly just to keep "critters" out.

That's what I was wondering. Just keeping "critters" out of the lines. I may do the expandable plug, plus gizmo, plus skimmer plug, plus foam noodle pieces. My skimmers have some cracks in them now. All that the previous owner used was a gizmo, so I don't have 100% faith in them.

I've used Gizmos for years here in the frozen Northeast without incident:) The key imho is to make sure of 2 things:

1. The Gizmo's are still good i.e. have no leaks. I check them by shaking (to see if they have any water in them after the winter) and holding them under water to see if they want to pop up.
2. You screw the Gizmo into the threaded hole so it stays firmly to the bottom of the skimmer. I put the expandable plug in the skimmer hole that leads to the pump, and the Gizmo gets screwed into the "dummy" hole with threads that go nowhere. I know some people use teflon tape on the Gizmo and rely on it to seal the line to the pump, but an expandable plug does a much better job of sealing this off.

I need to get some new ones if I'm gonna use them. The previous owner cut the smaller section of threads off for whatever reason. The second hole in my skimmers has a plug in it. I hadn't thought of removing it since there should just be dirt underneath. Might be an option though.

They have what I call "single and double decker" Gizmos. The double deck ones are basically 2 Gizmo's in one (one on top of the other). Assuming the double will fit in your skimmer (measure the height from the bottom of the skimmer to the lid), I'd get that for the extra capacity.

Hey guys..I wonder if I can get input on this as a line blower.I have an earlier version with same specs. It has 2 turbines and with both on it blows 200 cfm at 10 psi

Amazon.com: Apollo Model 1200-7500T Dual Motor Turbine System with a 7500T HVLP Spray Gun (5 Total Turbine Stages): Automotive

Thank you

Seems like way overkill, but since you already have it, I don't see any reason not to use it. 10psi should be plenty to blow the main drain. I used the blower function on my shop vac last year, and it did a fine job with all the lines except the main drain, and it doesn't have near the capacity of that one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.