Waste to have variable?

Sep 14, 2014
nowhere, GA
Please help this new pool owner! I bought a house with a 36,000 gallon pool which is approx 15 yr old. The 1.5 HP Hayward Super II pump developed a leak 2 months ago and it's getting worse. The pool is being replastered now and I'd like to upgrade the equipment if they are affordable. Please give let me know my best options. I will post more info about the pool if needed. Thanks in advance!

Existing pump: Super II 1.5 HP
Rebates from utility: both Hayward SP2600VSP Super Pump VS & SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS have $100
Other pump: new Zodiac PB4-60Q booster pump for sweep
Pool: 15 yr Anthony pool
Plumbing 1.5"
Distance: Don't how to calculate. The shortest distance from the current pump to the edge of the pool is about 12 ft
Automation: Old Anthony panel with 'Antho Touch'
Additional equipment: sand filter, SPA, old Anthony heater, Single Story Solar with 6 large panels.
Climate: 30F to 95F
Duration of ownership: 2 yrs (tentative plan to move after retirement in 2 yrs)
Owner capability: I can do whole house remodeling, including concrete, electrical, gas, & plumbing. Almost completely ignorant about pools.
Preference: lower overall cost but worth the extra if less noise, longer to recuperate cost

PLEASE help! One pool company told me that variable speed will be huge saving in just 1yr and it will be much quieter. The tech from another company said not to bother, just try resealing the shaft of old pump. I'm so confused.

Welcome to the forum!

The savings on variable speed pumps are usually way overstated (unless you live in a part of the country with really high electricity rates). Usually a two speed pump is a better value proposition.

That being said, it may be a better deal to fix the old pump. Can you either post pictures or give a better description of the leak? What condition is the rest of the pump?

PLEASE help! One pool company told me that variable speed will be huge saving in just 1yr and it will be much quieter. The tech from another company said not to bother, just try resealing the shaft of old pump. I'm so confused.
I'm liking the "tech from another company".

You say you can do plumbing and electric - so you CAN do pools. Just don't try to overthink it.

Thanks for the quick reply! The utility company only offers $100 rebate for variable pumps & no 2 speed pumps were offered. With the prices at Amazon, it looks like variable speed costs roughly the same as 2 speeds after the rebate. I think the price of electricity here is probably medium. With the tiered system, I'm not sure and guess it as average of $0.24 per KW.
I can't tell where the leak is coming from. It was dry on top and the sides and wet on the bottom. The pump is not running as the pool being replastered with no water. I've attached an old picture when it first leaked. It was much worse before the pool was emptied for replastering.
photo.JPG

Since I'm not sure if the old Super II can be easily repaired, I may have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. With the rebate, the variable speeds are not much more than the 2 speeds. Please advise if I should get the Hayward SP2600VSP Super Pump VS & SP2300VSP Max-Flo VS. The Super cost $40 more but it looks like my old pump. It may be easier to install. Please advise. Thanks!

Did you say that you plan to retire and move in 2yrs?

If so, there's no way you'll recoup the cost of the pump or anything else you add to it. Pools do not add much if anything to property values; at best they enhance sellability if other houses in you real estate comps have pools too. So don't get taken in by the tales people tell about homes with pools getting more money. In some cases, pools can be a deterrent.

So back to the point about retiring - my advice would be fix what you have there for minimal cost and let the next owner deal with upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your profile says you're from Northern California? I live about 30 miles east of SF and was regularly hitting $300 a month in PGE costs. My old pump was a sta-rite 1.5hp max e-pro. I switched just the motor to a variable speed pump and my PGE is now around $150 per month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.